Cone filter= More blower noise

1QuikV6

My friend Doug has a 90 SC with a K&N 9" cone filter and his car has lots of blower noise. His 95 also has a lot of blower noise but i guess thats from the newer style blower. Why is that?

Where can i get a Cone Filter to fit on my MAS?

what kind of MAF is it... is it those 70MM with the center tube going verticle? or is it the early 55MM ones... if its the 70MM u can get a 3.5" filter from EBAY... just type in 3.5" FILTER and u will find them... if its the 55mm u can just bolt on a 3 inch over it... hope it helps...

Measure the outside diameter of the maf and go to any parts dealer that sells cone filters and put it on. Just putting a filter on with no divider will allow the intake of hot air. Not a good thing!

Yeah buddy...try using a metal tube instead of the rubber tube and u'll hear it even more! SCaddict has a point. My set up now has the filter in the fender with the stock airbox but i used to have just the cone filter in the engine bay...this made lots more blower whine, but it sux in hot air.

Well I wiork with my dad part time with hit HVAC business so sheetmetal and metal piping isnt hard to come across or to bend. :) I am planning on shielding it anyway.

I have the 55mm MAS, is there a noticeable difference with a 70? Also, i have a MAS from my 94 LX 3.8, can i use that and if so, what size is it?

I noticed a good change when I switched my 94's maf for the mark viii 80mm unit. Its a direct bolt on. I might have one for sale if ur interested.

Last edited:
yo... if u have one for a 94 LX... then it should bolt on... but u would have to change the sensor... u would put the SC sensor on the 94 MAF because that MAF on the 94 is calibrated for smaller injectors....

I wonder if Advance Auto Parts has a cone. Its 30* here so it will be ok without a shield til I get home.

CaifanSC I noticed a good change when I switched my 94's maf for the mark viii 80mm unit. Its a direct bolt on. I might have one for sale if ur interested.

how much do u want for it?

Well i bought two when I got mine and i was going to keep the other one as a spare (im such a spare parts whore, its not funny). But i need some chrismas cash, so what say $50 plus shipping...should only be a few bux for shipping. Let me know...i need cash :D

Back