Spark plugs

plugs

the-big-e said:
What is the most popular spark plug to use in our SC's?
I use autolite double platinum and have never had a problem. I tried bosch and did'nt get 5000 miles before they started missing under max acceleration.

hey go to rockauto.com and try their acdelco wires dont cost that much never tried them myself but im going to get some this monday along with some NGK SC V-power sparkplugs with o.o54 gap. 2 day shipped for 8??.??$ not that bad. hope that helps

Plugs

Use Motorcraft AWSF-34PP or Autolite APP 2544. While some have luck with others I have never heard a complaint about either one of these.

Anthony

the-big-e said:
What is the most popular spark plug to use in our SC's?

Hey Eddie, I put Autolites in mine. Double plats APP2544. Be careful, the wrong plugs can really cause bad running problems.

If you come to Raleigh, I'll help you change them. :D

David

The whole spark plug thing has been beaten to death on these boards. However, since I'm bored, I'll go over it one more time. :)

Motorcraft AWSF-34PP - Ford has been replacing this with a single platinum design. Not sure if the double plats are still available, but the new type are only single platinum and will not give you the life you would expect from a double platinum plug.

Autolite APP-2544 - This is a standard replacement double platinum plug. This plug will give OE performance and if that is what you are looking for there is no reason to try anything else.

NGK TR55-1IX - OE replacement plug with Iridium pucks instead of platinum. Will last as long as a platinum with better performance under high boost.

Platinum is not added to the plug for performance reasons. It is there to increase the life of the plug only. Platinum does not wear away like normal metal contacts do. On the other hand, Iridium has the potential to fire under more pressure than platinum while retaining it's long life characteristics. If you do not want to change your plugs often then the use of a platinum or iridium plug will get you 60K+ mile change intervals.

If you don't mind changing plugs more often (I prefer to pull plugs yearly to see how things are going in the cylinders) then you can use a standard plug.

Here are some performance options for engines that are running at higher than stock boost levels. All of the plugs in this catagory have reduced tip length for better detonation resistance.

Autolite APP-764 - this is a standard heat range, double platinum plug that does not extend so far into the chamber.

Autolite 764 - same as above only a non-platinum plug and an excellent choice for high boost motors that are regularly maintained. Gap at .045

Autolite 103 - this is another non-platinum plug that is also a cooler heat range than stock. It is highly recommended for boost levels in excess of 17psi or for nitrous applications. Gap at .045.

Denso Iridium IT-20 - this is another high performance low profile plug. They arguably may offer some performance improvement over a standard plug in some situations. However, at 10X the price of standard plugs the cost effectiveness of these plugs is debatable.

Other brands can be used by cross referencing these part numbers, there really isn't any magic in any plug as long as you understand the basics of what is going on with the main types of plugs you can use.

Last edited:
LostDreamer said:
hey go to rockauto.com and try their acdelco wires dont cost that much never tried them myself but im going to get some this monday along with some NGK SC V-power sparkplugs with o.o54 gap. 2 day shipped for 8??.??$ not that bad. hope that helps

I've never heard of the V power plug and don't recall anyone using AC Delco wires either. I'm using this plug re-gapped to .045 with Taylor wires.

NGK TR55-1IX - OE replacement plug with Iridium electrode.

David

I was told you couldn't get the factory plug anymore. I used Motorcraft AGSF34FM which are a double platinum.

I know that they "should" be pregapped, but to cover all bases, what should my new Motorcraft AWSF34PP plugs be gapped at?

Thanks, Alan

I ran NGK TR55-1IX iridiums in my drag racer until my Diablo chip failed during a run causing one of them the detonate and burn the tip off of it. I've switched to the Denso IT22 now. I put Autolite double platinums in my red 90 and have the stock Motorcraft plugs in my 35th.

Back