Bringing the bird back to life

blackthunder90

Going to bring her back.
1990 35th 5 speed,107,060 miles on it.
sat in my garage for a year, now it won't start,not even a click.
i'm getting a reading from my voltmeter on the battery.
any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bryan

well when it sat for a year did you start it anytime through that whole year b\c's if you didint than you would have to change some parts... it could be the spark plugs or the altornator it could be alot of things you should take it to a mechanic and let him see b\c's it could be so many things.. sorry.. you should check with a mechanic though :(

You stated that it sat for a year. Did you charge the battery? Eventhough your volt meter gives you a reading (you did not state what reading), it is the amperage that provides the "umph" to turn your 'bird over. And these beasts require a great deal of it. Also, depending on the temperatures the battery experienced, especially if sitting, a cell (or more) can go bad. The voltage will look good but it won't provide enough juice to twist your starter.

If it ran fine when parked, think simple and either jump it with another battery/car, or charge the battery in it. A Ford garage or your local auto parts house that sells batteries can load test it.

Sorry about the long post, hope this helps.

Thanks guys for the replies.
I was getting 12v at the meter, but youre right it needs the amperage to turn over.
I tried jumping the batt. but it still diddn't start.gonna go buy a new battery next week. I remember when it did start alot of grey smoke and a very wierd smell same out, I know the valve covers are leaking,so i hope it's just that and not a head gasket! I guess i'll find out when i start her up.
Sorry so long
Thanks for the replies.
Bryan

Back