Rock Hard Pedal! Please Help Asap!

darkstar_one

hey, i just reinstalled my ABS system after a long abscense... and now... i have a BRAKE LIGHT that stays on... a ANTI-LOCK that stays on a ROCK HARD PEDAL... i bought the accumulator thinking it was that, off of ebay... the guy i bought it from said the bird he took it off from had about 25K miles on it... well i already contacted him and i am gonna get my refund... and ima get me one from PRIOR REMAN. ALso... i did the DUFFY FLOYD TROUBLESHOOT thing and i have power all around the the thing... and i replaced the RELAY with a brand new one from AUTOZONE and the PUMP MOTOR doesnt come on... I cant hear it or anything... it doesnt vibrate or anything... maybe its shot??? I am running out of ideas and i am thinking of putting a freaking bullet through the damn block to put it out of its misery...

p.s. i checked the 4 pin connection to the pump motor and i get 2 POSITIVES and 2 NEGATIVES... anyone please

darkstar_one said:
hey, i just reinstalled my ABS system after a long abscense... and now... i have a BRAKE LIGHT that stays on... a ANTI-LOCK that stays on a ROCK HARD PEDAL... i bought the accumulator thinking it was that, off of ebay... the guy i bought it from said the bird he took it off from had about 25K miles on it... well i already contacted him and i am gonna get my refund... and ima get me one from PRIOR REMAN. ALso... i did the DUFFY FLOYD TROUBLESHOOT thing and i have power all around the the thing... and i replaced the RELAY with a brand new one from AUTOZONE and the PUMP MOTOR doesnt come on... I cant hear it or anything... it doesnt vibrate or anything... maybe its shot??? I am running out of ideas and i am thinking of putting a freaking bullet through the damn block to put it out of its misery...

p.s. i checked the 4 pin connection to the pump motor and i get 2 POSITIVES and 2 NEGATIVES... anyone please

Do not buy a used accumulator. Ford hasn't used these type brake systems since 1992. Even if it has only 25k miles the nitrogen has escaped out the bladder inside from age. Call priorreman and buy one for like $100. Mention the SCCOA I think there might be a discount.

try grounding the number 4 pin on the pressure switch its that square plug down close by the motor unhook it and ground the 4 pin if it runs u have a bad pressure switch replace but umm you have to yank the whole unit out to do it :( been there done that if that doesnt help ask the pros on here about hooking the motor up to 12 volts to see if its working

i already tried grounding the 4th pin and u can just here the RELAY engage but no MOTOR... well i will contact prior reman... get me a new ACCUMULATOR... anyone else... does the motor pump not engaging cause a stiff pedal? please help... i need to get this finish...

Last edited:
Time to contact Prior Remanufacturing...

But probably not for just the accumulator. If you can swing it, go ahead and get the complete assembly. You can try to locate a new pressure switch, but that will run you more than $100.00(US). The new Accumulator will cost about the same amount. If you have to pull the unit to replace the switch (I don't know if that is necessary, cause I've never been that route) you might as well spend about $250.00 more and get the entire system. Prior will ship you a rebuilt, tested, unit for around $450.00(US). It comes with everything including a new accumulator. There is a core charge, but they provide you with all the packing materials to send back your old unit. They even provided a UPS pick-up tag when I got mine, so I didn't even have to pay for shipping the core. Within about a week of shipping the core, I received a refund check for the core charge. These are great people to work with and if you mention the SCCoA, they may just cut you a deal.
BTW, their units come with a 36-month warranty.

(No, I don't work for Prior. I just believe in promoting those vendors who treat us SC'ers right!)

damn dude... i dont know what it is... i wish it was just the damn accumulator but the damn pump motor isnt even kicking in... i already replaced the relay and did that number 4 pin grounding and still nothing... i will try to clean the connections today... also... i know someboyd must know please that a motor pump not kicking causes a hard pedal... does it? or is just that the accumulator...

If it's not the relay, then with your symptoms. I would assume it is the pressure switch. I had a bad pressure switch last month. The pump motor was not turning on. And of course, if the pump doesn't turn on, you'll have hard a@* brakes. I could tell mine was bad because the nipple on the end was stuck in.

I know this thread now sounds like a Prior Reman plug, but I called them a few days ago and they get there new pressure switches from GM (Ford is obsolete, but the GM is the same thing). Buick used the TEVES unit on the Reatta, I've heard. The Prior tech gave me the exact GM part number for the pressure switch- 25530882. Call a buick dealership.

Plus if you ever want to get any specialty FORD tools like the socket for the pressure switch (which is unique) they are made by a company called ROTUNDA. I just order a Pressure Switch Socket yesterday. I have a leaky brake unit (I think its from the PS) It was $50. I cringed, but if I am going to fix my brake issues correctly, I figured I'd get the proper tools. There number is 1-800-ROTUNDA.

And for future reference- If you every replace any brake unit O-rings, make sure they are EPDM o-rings. (Brake fluid resistant)

I hope this fixes your problem.

Metalman

okay... so... do i need the ABS PUMP MOTOR... can i drive with it off? damn man.. i dont have the money to get the whole damn thing remanufactured... i just want my damn brakes to work... anyone... please.. info... any other way to jump start the freaking motor...

darkstar_one said:
okay... so... do i need the ABS PUMP MOTOR... can i drive with it off? damn man.. i dont have the money to get the whole damn thing remanufactured... i just want my damn brakes to work... anyone... please.. info... any other way to jump start the freaking motor...

I believe you have been given the last word on your problem above by members who know. Do yourself a favor and follow their advice.

All you have to get is a new Pressure Switch. Get it from a Buick dealership with the above part #.

That, I'm almost 100% certain is your problem. The other info on the specialty tools and the 0-rings are just for future info if you ever need anything else.

A new pressure switch comes with a new o-ring. I took my old pressure switch off with a pair of channel locks, but kinda messed up the threads...they are just aluminum. That's why I broke down and bought the special socket. Becuase, I have taken my pressure switch on and off over the past year about 3 times for different reasons. The channel lock trick for you should be fine.

Gook luck!

Metalman

BTW-I TOTALLY feel your pain! I'm still going through problems with my unit.

okay so lets just recap this... my ABS pump doesnt turn on... i replaced the RELAY already... still nothing... i did the DUFFY FLOYD thing were u ground pin #4 of the PRESSURE SWITCH connector and hit the ignition and still the ABS PUMP does not kick in... so can this be a bad ABS PUMP??? How much am i looking at just for the ABS PUMP MOTOR??? Does PRIOR REMAN. carry REMAN pumps? I cant afford at the moment to get a whole new unit remanufactured... I already ordered my PRESSURE SWITCH from GM and it should be here TUESDAY... I need to get this bird off its feet... thanx..

Back