Pro's & Con's of Relocating Battery?

Thomas A

Hey guys, I'm thinking about moving the battery in my SC to the trunk this winter so I have some more room up front. I was wondering what you guys that have done it, or have looked at doing it thought the pro's and con's were. Thanks!

Thomas

Pros:

More room under the hood
Better weight distribution

Cons:

Have to run a NHRA legal box or rear firewall, along with a kill switch. This is only if you want to run at the track.

Here are a few pics from my setup. I haven't built a rear firewall yet, but I will before the car goes to the track.

battery%20in%20trunk.jpg

kill%20switch.jpg

modified%20taillight.jpg

The kill switch is installed on the passenger side of the trunk, as shown. I made a lever and rod that attaches to the switch after removing the switch handle. The rod slides through a spare taillight that I drilled a hole in (see pic).

When I take this car to the dragstrip, all I have to do is install the rod and lever and switch the passenger side taillight. When I'm driving this car on the street, I use the original switch handle and a passenger side taillight without the hole.

-Rod

I moved mine to the trunk to put more of the weight over the right rear wheel, and to make room for a turbo under the hood. It worked out fine, but will cost a few bucks to do it correct, and pass NHRA Tech. I ran #1 cable from the starter relay to the battery in the trunk, and a #4 wire from the alternator to the + post of the battery. I am using a Flaming River switch that has the rod with it. I had to make a small plate to raise the switch so that the rod would go through the area at the right lower corner near the license plate.

For street use, I just unscrew the rod from the joint on the lever.

bird-nov34.jpg

bird-nov27.jpg

Race Ready

bird-nov37.jpg

There will be room for the turbo and intercooler as soon as I switch to a manual rack.

bird-nov23.jpg

Thomas,

I wouldn't do it because it's just a big hassle to move everytime. You move it the trunk in winter then you get to move to the front in summer. Too much work involved. :)

Nettlesd said:
Thomas,

I wouldn't do it because it's just a big hassle to move everytime. You move it the trunk in winter then you get to move to the front in summer. Too much work involved. :)

Why ever would you move it back to the front?

thebigslide said:

I think he meant has part of winter projects , "I shall be moving my battery to the trunk" whats the pro's and con's ?/ Not that has the seasons change so shall the battery location :p

Inless you haul grocerys DO IT!!!! :D
Scribner shall love ya , Just think of that extra 50 lbs/or what ever the weight is, to the rear @ a good hooking track :D

thebigslide said:

You mean you guys don't do that? I thought everyone moved their battery to the back in the winter, the front for summer and some where in the car for spring. Maybe I should rethink my plan.

Oh, anyone know how much oil I need to pour into my tires this winter to keep them from dry rotting? Now that I think about it, each tire might take quite a few quarts of oil so I probably should stick with regular oil and not use synthetic oil.

Thomas A said:
Hey guys, I'm thinking about moving the battery in my SC to the trunk this winter so I have some more room up front. I was wondering what you guys that have done it, or have looked at doing it thought the pro's and con's were. Thanks!

Thomas

Thomas: I moved my originally to make room for the FMIC I was building. I love having it in the trunk. Takes a lot of weight of the front end and puts it where it belongs. I always felt car manufacturers try to put to much stuff under the hood. I dont haul things in the trunk so The battery isnt in the way of any thing. It did take me longer than I thought it would to make the move because I want the cable to be ran in a professional way under the car and I built my own Alum box for the battery.

Nettlesd said:
You mean you guys don't do that? I thought everyone moved their battery to the back in the winter, the front for summer and some where in the car for spring. Maybe I should rethink my plan.

Oh, anyone know how much oil I need to pour into my tires this winter to keep them from dry rotting? Now that I think about it, each tire might take quite a few quarts of oil so I probably should stick with regular oil and not use synthetic oil.

I've heard that it's best to use used supercharger oil. Something to do with the fatty acids...

Back