Frustrated in Baghdad

TbSCbos13

Hows it going guys, my name is Bill O'Sullivan I have a 91 SC at home in Philadelphia Pa. I am currently in Iraq and i had my brother take my car to the shop to have new plugs and wires put on for the winter and i found out both my head seals are bad. Theres not too much i can do about it now but i wanted some advice as to take it to get the head gasgets done or is it do able on my own next spring. the car will be stored for the winter not driven just run 3 times a week . That and i am looking to see if anyone knows a good place i can send an entire master cylinder system to be rebuilt. I got one from a guy i know that works in a auto shop i just meed the brushes in the acculator rebuild. Thanks for any help you can give.

If your SC has bad head gaskets.I would not run the motor.
If you have anti-freeze is leaking into the oil.By starting and
runing the car with contaminated oil.You could end up with
bad bearing on the crankshaft.

I will put new head gaskets on your car at no cost.If you
bring me BEN-L. ears.

Be safe
later Randy

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
..I will put new head gaskets on your car at no cost.If you
bring me BEN-L. ears.
That's really cool of you Randy! :)
I'd like to help out one of our Deployed fellow SC'er too, if I didn't live so far away..

TbSCbos13 said:
Hows it going guys, my name is Bill O'Sullivan I have a 91 SC at home in Philadelphia Pa. I am currently in Iraq and i had my brother take my car to the shop to have new plugs and wires put on for the winter and i found out both my head seals are bad. Theres not too much i can do about it now but i wanted some advice as to take it to get the head gasgets done or is it do able on my own next spring. the car will be stored for the winter not driven just run 3 times a week . That and i am looking to see if anyone knows a good place i can send an entire master cylinder system to be rebuilt. I got one from a guy i know that works in a auto shop i just meed the brushes in the acculator rebuild. Thanks for any help you can give.
Bill, I do not know if this will be to late, hope you get this. I wonder if your car was running poorly before plug rplcmnt. There is much that can be done wrong on this seemingly simple job yhat can result in terrible performance. It makes me wonder if you really needed Head gaskets, or valve seals, assume you meant hd gskts though. If you had bad head gskts the symptoms should have been evident, overheating, loss of coolant, gas bubbles entering coolant resivoir and poss. miss upon cold start. depends upoun the exact nature of the lk. Into the combustion chamber usually but to oil returns or even to outside of eng. possible. If you really have blown hd gskts (2 @ same time unlikely) letting it sit may result in coolant entering the affected cylinders and they will rust. you would then need an engine rebuild because the piston rings and cyl. bores will never seal again. If coolant or water enters the oil you can confirm this by looking at the oil fill cap and or dipstick, if it looks like a milkshake, that is happening. While a cyl. leakdown would be good for showing a leak into a cyl., it is difficult on these SCs as would be any major eng. work. I do not reccomend this type of work for non-mechanic wo serious tool set. if you really have blown gasket, remove coolant from system, ck oil to assure no milkshake, drain & rplc w new oil if milkshake appearance present (filter not an issue at this point, as you would do another oil chg. w. filter after gskt rplcmnt) and then breifly run engine (~2 min.) to remove any coolant from cylinders. that should then allow it to sit until you can find a mechanic or whatever. good luck randy p.s. I read some other replies and do not think those guys are experienced mechanics, trust me mechanic for 30 yrs,worked on cars, trucks, bikes, etc.

See Dave Dalke for engine work. He is the best hands down. He posts as xr7 Dave. He will tell you what is wrong fix it and not do any un necessary work. Price wise he is very fair. If it has bad head gaskets DO NOT drive it you will cause more damage. Thanks for your service and may God watch over you and all the men like you that serve. Tim

Back