Check out this crazy a$$ problem....

v8killr

Ok for awhile now i thought my tranny was going out in my 93 because it was slipping very bad and sometimes would not shift out of first gear.So i replaced the filter and fluid and all seemed fixed(i know).I know the whole don't change your fluid if it hasn't been changed thing but it was worth a shot.The problem is weird though.It seems the times is runs really rough is when it's cold outside and the shifter is stiff.When it's not so cold out the shifter slides down into gear easy and the tranny don't slip.It's very weird.
I don't know if i should replace the tranny or what.I have never had a car that has ever done this(go figure).....
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE...:)
Dave

I had the same problem with my aod after about 165,000 miles. When cold it was stiff, would take awhile to engage when in drive and giving it some gas (a little scary when wating at a stop sign at a busy intersection!), but symptoms would disappear after warming up. I think your trans is on it's way out, but may last anywhere from another few miles to another several thousand miles (I think Iwent about 10,000 miles like that before it eventually went).

Sometimes those trans additives help a little, like the Lucas stuff... Best bet is to start looking or saving now for a trans, and have it ready for when the time comes!

trans. problems....

hey bro,
had the same problem in my 90 aod,
I added the transmedic and it seemed to work great,
then i totalled it and bought a 5 speed....
add the transmedic and let it warm up you should be ok.
but if tranny is 100% shot nothing will help
good luck,
Bryan

Sounds like the clearances of the internal parts have opened up(wear). Auto trannys will do that when there cold and the clearances are just past the high end of acceptable clearances. Start saving your pennies and get them together as qiuck as you can.

I figured the tranny was on it's way out the door that's why i'm looking for one now.It just sucks because of the time of the year it is(cold as he!!).I don't have a garage to do the work myself.I have the tools to do i just need a heated garage...don't we all.
The problem is just really weird because sometimes i get in it and i can slide the shifter down in to drive or reverse easily and it will drive fine but other times it's hard to pull the shifter down and i know it's going to slip because that's when it does it.I'm going to try to add some transmission additive to it.Which one have any of you guys tried with good results.I know about lucas but are there any others that are good also?
Thanks for the replys guys.
Dave

Maybe your tranny's shift cable could use some lube because that sounds like you're not fully engageing the gear you want. Might be worth a try.

joenintiesc said:
I had the same problem with my aod after about 165,000 miles. When cold it was stiff, would take awhile to engage when in drive and giving it some gas (a little scary when wating at a stop sign at a busy intersection!), but symptoms would disappear after warming up. I think your trans is on it's way out, but may last anywhere from another few miles to another several thousand miles (I think Iwent about 10,000 miles like that before it eventually went).

Sometimes those trans additives help a little, like the Lucas stuff... Best bet is to start looking or saving now for a trans, and have it ready for when the time comes!
I had exactly the same symptoms. It took two years and 20K miles until it wouldn't shift into overdrive. Readjusting the TV cable helped during this time.

J.D. said:
I had exactly the same symptoms. It took two years and 20K miles until it wouldn't shift into overdrive. Readjusting the TV cable helped during this time.
I just want it to last me through this winter and then i'll put a new one in this spring when the weather breaks....I just hope i can get the same kind of milage you guys got.

Back