No Spark when Key is in Start, but there in Run?

Charles G

Here is a new one, car will not start after accident, replaced starter relay which was cracked, with an AutoZone one (4 terminals but only use 3 per instructions). If I hold plug wire just out of Coil pack, can see no spark while key is in Start position, but can see one just as key goes into run momentarily. Found a missing start :( voltage at input of DIS module which comes from Key Switch (Red/light blue wire). Should be voltage there when key is in start position per books. Did find voltage at connector (round gray one over center of engine) when in start position, prior to DIS module connector. Is this simply a broken wire or could something be pulling down voltage when DIS is connected. Per the schematics I see that this same wire connects, DIS module and ABS Module and Anti Theft module and Starter Relay. If anyone has correct starter relay hook up I can double check wiring there. 92 Automatic SC. Thanks....Oh, yes DIS module is new just prior to hitting the deer, and coilpack is used but tested ok by dealer. Integrated Relay Control Module makes noisy chatting sound when engine is off but key in Run, and Injectors are noisy also, like pressure going on and off, but probably unrelated, not designed to be on when engine is off....Cranshaft sensor certainly got a coolant bath, in accident but no upshift light when cranking, and the Red/LB is a different ciruit than the crank and cam sensor (Red/LG) anyway...ugh...Blancer/Pulley bolt is in place as well. could be just a bad wire from gray round connector to DIS connector but seems to easy.........will try jumping from one connector to the other next

Last edited:
Charles G said:
Found a missing start :( voltage at input of DIS module which comes from Key Switch (Red/light blue wire). Should be voltage there when key is in start position per books. Did find voltage at connector (round gray one over center of engine) when in start position, prior to DIS module connector. Is this simply a broken wire or could something be pulling down voltage when DIS is connected. Per the schematics I see that this same wire connects, DIS module and ABS Module and Anti Theft module and Starter Relay.
If something is pulling down the voltage at the DIS "start" pin, then it will do the same to the starter relay and motor. Do you hear the starter motor working smoothly?
By the way, did you reset the inertia switch (does the fuel pump work)?

J.D. said:
If something is pulling down the voltage at the DIS "start" pin, then it will do the same to the starter relay and motor. Do you hear the starter motor working smoothly?
By the way, did you reset the inertia switch (does the fuel pump work)?
The starter motor cranks, although with the brand new battery I put in today, it seems like it should crank a bit stronger, did reset the inertia switch, can hear fuel like it is pumping through injector rail, when key is in run position, yet engine is off, Integrated Relay control module, makes noise like relay chatter, which seems to be in synch with noise coming from injector rail, like pressure going on and off, which may be normal in that key is in run, but engine not running...thanks for your help. yes, your suggestion makes sense, if something is pulling down voltage, I should not find the voltage anywhere on that wire that connects alarm module, starter relay, ABS module and DIS module (Red/LB), maybe is just an open wire to DIS module...I get the voltage at the ABS module connector probably also at the starter relay, I think this would be small terminal?, haven't checked the alarm module...and at the prior connector to the DIS connector.

Charles G said:
......................, maybe is just an open wire to DIS module...I get the voltage at the ABS module connector probably also at the starter relay, I think this would be small terminal?, haven't checked the alarm module...and at the prior connector to the DIS connector.
I think it's just an open wire. The same voltage is applied to the small terminal of the starter relay (the only difference being that the neutral safety switch and alarm module need to be activated). Since your starter is operating, you don't need to check the alarm module or starter relay.

Charles G said:
...................... Integrated Relay Control Module makes noisy chatting sound when engine is off but key in Run, and Injectors are noisy also, like pressure going on and off, but probably unrelated, not designed to be on when engine is off........................
The noise from the IRCM could be from the EEC power relay inside it since this relay supplies power to the injectors. I don't know if this is normal. Maybe someone else does.

Back