Cleaning out my intercooler? Tips, Tricks, benifits?

scbird94

I have heard that the insides of our intercoolers get pretty nasty... i was just wondering if it would be that much a benifit to clean it out, and if i do, can i just soak the inside with degreaser and pressure wash it, or is it too delicate.
Looking for advice here! Thanks alot!

94 SC

Dylan Roth
St. Cloud, MN

Over time they do get some oil buildup inside (a normal occurance). I just removed my IC, layed it on it's side and filled it up with some degreaser product, and I think I added some dishwashing liquid too.. Let is soak over night, then rinsed it out many, many times. Let it dry out completely before re-installing (stick a blow drier in the opening to help speed up the process).

The soaking got it very clean, at least as far inside as I actually could see. I wouldn't use a pressure washer, but that's just me...

Benifit? No not really worth all the trouble, might as well waite until you have a good reason to tear all that apart.

Hey Dylan. I PM'd you about who i am. I've met you before in St. Cloud. My buddy Austin cleaned his intercooler on his '94 SC and it was FULL of oil. took a while to clean but it helped a little bit i think. it sure couldn't hurt. It's not hard at all but don't use anything that may corrode the inside of the intercooler and let it dry well. i am planning on doing mine on my '93 SC soon. If you can't remember who i am i was the guy usually driving his car and the guy who put my application in at Gilleland. Check out the car. I sold my '00 Camaro. I'll post the links for my Camaro and the Bird to give you an idea of what i sold to get what i have.
www.cardomain.com/id/camaro_guy00 ---Camaro RS
www.cardomain.com/id/scfan84 --- Thunderbird SC :D

i dont think oil can corrode aluminum... then our heads would be all extra corroded... and pretty much rendered useless....

SCFan84 said:
.... It's not hard at all but don't use anything that may corrode the inside of the intercooler and let it dry well...

darkstar_one said:
i dont think oil can corrode aluminum... then our heads would be all extra corroded... and pretty much rendered useless....

I believe he was refering to the cleanser that will be used, just to make sure that it wont damage while cleaning...im sure that a plain jane regular degreaser will work perfectly. I plan on doing mine soon while its apart already.

yeah i was talking about the cleaner. My buddy and i used a degreaser from work and it worked GREAT. we just filled the intercooler while it was laying on it's back with the openings up and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then we dumped it in a huge floor sink and sat with water and let it run through it for a good 15-20 minutes until the water ran clear. You'll be amazed how hard it is for water to flow through the intercooler. you can have one side completely full and it is still 1/4 deep on the other side. That's how clogged his was. Kinda crazy. Anyway degreaser works the best i think. :D

The tubes are probably plugged up internaly with piececs of RTV silicone. I've seen alot of that and thats why I do not nor will I ever use RTV on any of the intake connections.

You mean we're supposed to clean the intercooler? Heck, every time I did anything with the intercooler tubes oil would drain out, so, I would just add a quart or two so it wouldn’t be low.

Nettlesd said:
You mean we're supposed to clean the intercooler? Heck, every time I did anything with the intercooler tubes oil would drain out, so, I would just add a quart or two so it wouldn’t be low.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D Duane :cool:

David

Yeah, I did mine when I already had a reason to take everything apart anyway... I'm not sure it's worth it to take it apart JUST to clean it out, unless you're really bored or something...

I wouldn't acid dip the intercooler. It's aluminum tubes are sealed to the tanks via an epoxy, they are not welded. Thus you don't want to do anything caustic enough to degrade the epoxy connections.

A auto parts store quality radiator flush product should be about the max you want to use to clean it out. I would reverse flush the unit blowing air through it the opposite way air ususally goes through it to get any larger items out that may have been sucked in the intake. (RTV sealer being one)

Hmm.... hardly any oil in mine..... how interesting..... Is that a good sign or is there supposed to be oil in it?

1QuikV6 said:
Hmm.... hardly any oil in mine..... how interesting..... Is that a good sign or is there supposed to be oil in it?

if there isnt any oil in there... i think it means ur PCV valve is working correctly...

if there isnt any oil in there... i think it means ur PCV valve is working correctly...

Not really...every SC I've ever seen taken apart had some motor oil in the intake from the PVC valve. The tighter the engine and the less rpms or boost you run...the less oil you will get. It collects in the lower IC tube and end tank, because it's the lowest point of the intake system.

David

Back