power steering leak...

darkstar_one

i noticed my power steering was leeking while the car was liften on the jack when i was replacing my ABS lines... i noticed it was a lot too... it seemed to be coming from the BOOT on the DRIVER SIDE TIED ROD... it was just appearing all over the boot... it looks like alot... any idea on how a bitch it would be to replace this?

If it is a leak at the pump, then you will have to replace it.
However, if you are having trouble locating where it is leaking from..........
Have the motor mounts ever been replaced?
One thing to check is the power steering line running between the engine and the subframe. Right about where the oil filter is. The motor mounts fail over time and the engine will rub against the power steering line in this location causing a leak.

sounds like your motor mounts are bad...when my motor mounts went...it caused my power steering pump to leak in the same place as yours because of the increased travel of the motor and caused my oil pan to crack...I had to replace my pump because it burned up...check your motor mounts and your hard line for the pump.

darkstar_one said:
i noticed my power steering was leeking while the car was liften on the jack when i was replacing my ABS lines... i noticed it was a lot too... it seemed to be coming from the BOOT on the DRIVER SIDE TIED ROD... it was just appearing all over the boot... it looks like alot... any idea on how a bitch it would be to replace this?
There is one other culprit that can rear its ugly head and that's the fitting that connects the hi-pressure line to the rack. The connection has some kind of white gasket (Teflon?) that goes in it and for some unknown reason just goes bad sometimes. Check the fitting, it's a swivel-joint, it's above the K-member on the driverside, you'll know it when you see it.

'bird

As an afterthought, the one that got me one time was where the hi-pressure hose leaves the fitting on the pump and heads down. Where it turns from metal to rubber it is crimped, check to make sure it's not leakin' out from under the shell of that crimp.

good luck,

'bird

i was just thinking about that today WYNN or however u spell that name... i was thinking at work that maybe one of the hoses just unhooked itself or something... maybe the low pressure one...??? i mean then again my power steering lines are kinda dangling and i do kinda shove them when i place the jack underneath the car... that lil metal part by the oil pan... and the jack is so big that it kinda rubs on the lines... i mean... ima check it out... but first some sleep... i just worked 2 shifts... 16 hours in a GASOLINE STATION is not FUN!!! i just got out right now at 8 in the momo.... thanx...

Check the lines and your engine mounts as stated previously. However, I have had two inner tie rod seals go bad on me. It will leak out of the boot as you stated.

Back