for the record-DIS failure

james5275

helllo everyone,
just for the record-
My friends 89 started running rough, he was driving normally then suddenly the car spuddered and died at a stop light, also C/E light turned on. He managed to limp home. We pulled the codes using the jumper and analog meter method- many codes were stored- left and right lean banks, TPS voltage low, SPOUT failure, and so on. We continued troubleshooting and found there was no spark in the #4 cylinder. At that point it was a toss up between the coil and the DIS, we had already checked for vacuum leaks. We replaced the DIS since I had a spare, and she fired up just fine. C/E light is still on, we will pull the battery terminal and see if that clears any codes. I'll reply when we get the C/E light to turn off. Thanks for reading, JJ

Disconnecting the battery will only erase stored memory codes. If the CE light remainsl on, then you still have a problem. Check the codes again after clearing the memory and it should narrow down the problem.

To reset the codes, pull the jumper wire out any time after turning on the key but before codes are finished. That will clear stored codes also.

Back