Can i replace the light bulbs inside the climate control unit?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
A few of the buttons of the climate control unit do not light up when they are supposed to . I was wondering if i can just remove the climate control unit and replace the bulbs, but i want to ask before i attempt this.

Yes, you can

You need those same pullers that you use to remove the radio.
It's a bitch of a job because with all those vacumm lines (that you don't want to have fall off!) you cant' pull the unit out too far. I replaced mine with loooong needle nose pliers. Ford had the bulbs in stock.

Here is some info I picked up from one of the SC sites....I can't remember who wrote it so I can't give the proper credit, sorry....

This applies to 89-93 climate controls. If one of the bulbs burn out behind the buttons it is easily replaced for $1.49 You have to use a ford radio removal tool (or go to WalMart and get a DIN removal tool set from the "car stereo" dept.) to get the climate control out of the dash. It may not be necessary to unplug anything from the back if you can pull it out far enough to get to the bulbs. You will find 2 grey plugs in the top of the unit. Use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the plug counter clockwise 1/4 turn then pull the plug out of the unit. You need to purchase from Radio Shack or any electronics store a "Micro Lamp" 12 volt / 60mA with a Wire Terminal base. the wire terminals push down through 2 holes in the bottom of the grey housing that holds the bulb then twist on 2 tabs.

A good tip is to take a bad bulb with the screw-in holder with you when you go on your search. I got a couple of bulbs from an autoparts house that were close but not exact replacements. The bulbs fit in the holder and so far are working fine. Make sure you screw in the holders all the way when re-installing or they will flicker on and off when you drive over bumps. Very annoying....

Climate Control Lights???????

Has anyone replaced them on a '94. I got the unit out of the dash with no problem but ???????????? where the heck do I go from here.

JimmyB
'94 SC

OK...reviving this post from LONG ago. (See....some of us DO use the search funtion!!!!) Just how many bulbs are there in the early model (92) Electronic Climate Control unit? I have lights out behind multiple buttons. Anyone have one of these units out that could post pics of the bulb holders and the unit itself?

Found that the bulb number from the Owner's Manual is #37.

So no one has a picture of a removed early model Electronic Climate Control? Also we have a question above about the late model version as well????????

P1010353.jpg

Corey

Thanks....but that us an early model manual climate control module not an Electronic Climate Control. With that siad though it might help someone regardless....just not me unless the bulb locations are the same. I assume the grey circular openings on either side of the PN tag are them?

I just tore one up trying to see how the blend door actuator is attached to the unit.....:mad:
For future reference, I've found its easier to take the console out, and the whole front panel off, rather than scrape up my fingers trying to reach the connectors. The additional time more than offsets the frustration.

And, for reference, there are 4 of the small bulbs (# 37 as duffy noted) in the non electronic A/C control.

How about these....

Attachments

• Climate Control.jpg
    Climate Control.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Climate Control (1).jpg
    Climate Control (1).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Climate Control (2).jpg
    Climate Control (2).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 166
I found it helpful to drop the glove box down to gain access to the rear of the unit during removal.

Thomas

Back