Drifting experience pays off when driving on ice

1QuikV6

We had just gotten our first snow of the winter two days ago and the roads werent overly bad during the day as they melted and cleared up but they had begun to freeze around 6pm when I left for home. There is a twisty set of S curves on my road and the road loked clear so I was weaving thru them as usual and I always downshift to 3rd for a particular tight left turn when the rear let out and the front let loose soon after and the ABS light flashed. I faced the woods in a 4 wheel slide around the turn modulated by some throttled rear wheel steering til the tires gripped. That was my first experience with black ice and was a hairy ride but my SC felt sure footed and it was responsive with what it was doing.

I do love drifting but NOT on ice!!! lol I guess being experienced in drifting helped in this scenario because i couldve easily ended up in the woods.

Last edited:
1QuikV6 said:
We had just gotten our first snow of the winter two days ago and the roads werent overly bad during the day as they melted and cleared up but they had begun to freeze around 6pm when I left for home. There is a twisty set of S curves on my road and the road loked clear so I was weaving thru them as usual and I always downshift to 3rd for a particular tight left turn when the rear let out and the front let loose soon after and the ABS light flashed. I faced the woods in a 4 wheel slide around the turn modulated by some throttled rear wheel steering til the tires gripped. That was my first experience with black ice and was a hairy ride but my SC felt sure footed and it was responsive with what it was doing.

I do love drifting but NOT on ice!!! lol I guess being experienced in drifting helped in this scenario because i couldve easily ended up in the woods.
ahhhhhhh....you wannabe race car driver,you .....be careful,don't need you wrapping that thing around some fine Va. oak tree,LOL!
Take care..........z

Well I dont think ice and snow is a real good place to play Rodney road racer. Down shifting on ice or snow is a really good way to throw your car into a uncontrooled slide. Black ice is the worst. Couple of days ago I hit some at 5 mph. and it took all I knew to keep a 53 ft. trailer off the guard rail and really having one heck of a wreck. Its always worse when the temp. is hovering around 32 degrees. :eek:

getblown said:
Dictionary Definition:

See - "Empty parking lot driving 101" :D

Especially when its wet after a rain....You can drive like those "proffesionals on a closed course" commercials.....

That's one thing I really like about my SC is, like you said, "Sure Footed". It is so controllable and feels planted even when the rear steps out. Even by accident it is nice to know that I can bring it back around.
Yet black ice is another story...you are just throwing the dice, and your ride is the stack of chips...

I love driving in the snow. We just got a foot of it yesterday and I had a blast on my way to work. I'm one of those guys that fly through the snow and drift in the corners, etc.. Commonly refered to by most drivers as an @$$hole. But I can't help it, it's too much fun. Plus, by developing a comfort zone in a controlled slide or drift, it doesn't surprise you when it happens.

Back