Gas mileage

WOW!!!!!! :eek: That's the worst mileage I've seen posted, yet.

It could be one or any of the following:

Clogged cats
Maf sensor
Lead foot
Clogged air filter
Bad plugs

I,m sure I missed a few.....

IMHO - You should be getting at least 350 miles on a tank of good premium fuel.

yeah it could be just a gauge problem my vacum gauge alwway stayes in dead center and my temp gauge is always cold. check the gauge first

i was thinking that too but i dont think its the only problem... if i go full throttle i was told it does puff out a little black smoke.....is that common??

i filled her up last week and when she goes on e ill do it again to see how many gallons were gone.....shes not my daily driver, more of a toy :D so the lead foot factor does come into play.....and she also has been sittin for about a year......ill let ya know how it turns out

thanks

I got 150 miles out of this last tank, but my rear fuel lines had a pinhole leak. This, of course, being the most obvious way of telling why the gas mileage was not that good.

sweetcoupe said:
and she also has been sittin for about a year......ill let ya know how it turns out

thanks

All kinds of things can go wrong when a vehicle sits for that long......

I am told that the front and rear crank seals can go bad from sitting for that long....

When mine has to sit idle for long periods of time, I at least go out and crank her up and drive around the block a few times......She does need the exercise.....WOT, 2, 3, 4.......

well i didnt just let her sit there and rot... i went out at least once a week and started her up and let her run a while....my dads a mechanic he warned me of that....i couldnt really drive her around just up and down the driveway to get the rust off the rotars

the-big-e said:
All kinds of things can go wrong when a vehicle sits for that long......

I am told that the front and rear crank seals can go bad from sitting for that long....

I just experienced this first hand on my 93' Cobra. Hadn't started or driven it in a while (always in garage though)and when I started it recently, it has developed a bad rear crank seal :mad: Now both of my cars are buckets :mad:

I also get pretty bad mpg. Every winter it gets worse, then around spring it improves a little.

I just got 234 miles on 15.3 gallons, which is about 15.3 mpg. It's been in the teens here and only a couple of highway trips. If it wasn't for the Christmas shopping trips it would be about 13 mpg. My SC loves to drink gas in the winter, probably something to do with the 180 degree thermostat.

Jerry

ditigal

i have a ditigal dash in my car an it shows i get 15.1 mpg

acording to my dad my car should get anywhere to 17 - 20 mpg

bad milage

good question i am only getting 210 mpg at the most (street miles and i use costo gasoline) and freeway miles problably 290 at the most also i did not pas the smog check...go figure i live in california and everything was ok but the co2 was a bit over the limit. what do yuo think is the problem? any input will be appreciated and also i must add that i still have this rough idle that is driving me crazy for almost a year.

how is costco gas ? hows there premium, cheap gas dont work good with teh SC and i never tried there gas

I get a pretty solid 21-22 with my 'Bird unless it's a lot of city driving/WOT - then it'll be closer under 20. If I get out on the highway, I get closer to 25 :D Most of the time, I try to run BP 92/93 in my 'Bird.

With my Ranger, I dream of getting 20 :eek:

-Andy "Melon"

sweetcoupe said:
what could be the reason for bad gas milage???im at 80 miles and i went through 3/4 of a tank
As you see from the responses, it could be a lot of things hwever some things are more likely than others. you need to know some things are right, namely air filter, plugs, wires and fuel pressure. the computer can not know these things so you should ck fuel pressue @ schraeder valve on fuel rail, should be 35 to 45 psi and should hold for long after ignition is off, if not ,leking injector or fuel pump. plugs should be good to about 60k miles 9unless fowled. fuel press is easy to ck, plug & wire installation is harder and often done wrong so unless someone has recently attempted that, don't worry about those. many problems that can occur are not detected by the computer on the car. sensors that can affect mileage are engine coolant temp, nass air flow and oxygen sensors. only an open circuit on these will be seen by comp. and register a code (ck eng light on?) with the exception of the oxygen sensor wich may throw acode whose description reads bank 1 rich all the time which could be caused by things other than the sensor such as bad plug, leaking injector etc. it helps to have either ascan tool or more definitive, abreakout box to allow fast access to pin voltages @ brain. assuming you do not have these ck one at a time w high impedance volt meter. air flow meter is very possible. bad air filter install can allow dust to weld to filament and can often not be cleaned. there are no definitive specs but i have seen many read ~ 1V @ 1000 rpm then should go up linear, ~2V @ 2000rpm and ~3V @ 3000rpm. faulty MAF uusually produce a lower voltage than this as rpm rises. coolant temp return signal probably starts around 2.9V cold and goes down to around 2v hot. again if these sensors lie the brain would have no way to know the true values. O2 sensor voltage is akward to get ( under car) but is ckd by creating a vac leak and then adding propane to intake to produce lean and rich conditions alternately,lean is .1V and rich is.9V. nomally the car should alternate rich,lean ~ 4 to 8 times per sec. o2s are good for around 90k miles. i will ck back to see how you are doing good luck randy

Back