m90 on stock n/a 3.8

steadfaststang

Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot lately on these boards, which look great btw. Now to the point, recently I have been thinking hard of doing the swap onto my 96 stang. Recently a friend of mine informed me that he heard that Ford during the testing of this blower on the motor would snap stock cranks from n/a motors.

So if this is true or not, which I hope it is not. I also read somewhere (forgot what site) that with a really good tune I would be ok. Also if it is the case with the crank possible snapping, does anyone know where I could buy a pulley to lower boost alittle?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

If you want a blower, sell your stang and buy a supercoupe or a newer cobra. There is a ton of info in the search area of the site. I have read many threads related to this, and the n/a block is not up to the task of handling the extra boost. It is possible, but for the time and cash I would consider the previous two options. I'm pretty sure that Vortech makes an aftermarket blower as an option too. Go to brothersperformance.com there is a spot on the site that sells performance upgrades for the 1994-2003 V-6 stangs. Hope this info helps!

It's not that it can't handle the boost. It appears that he issue is related to the additional load the M90, or other roots type blower, tends to put on the end of the crankshaft.

Check out the TCCoA or any of the Stang sites that have people with Vortech supercharged 3.8's. Due to the way those supercharges build boost and how they are geared up, the shock of the application is dramatically reduced.

And yes, they are not going to handle 18psi without some work. But 7-8 psi should be fine with a centrifugal blower.

Back