SC Power Problem

SanDiegoLXBird

Well.. the problem with my new SC is a little more involved than I thought. The SC doesn't develop any power whatsoever. Even in neutral the engine doesn't seem to want to rev. After a moment of having the throttle depressed it will start to pick up. Also.. in gear, I got passed by a 2 year-old on a big-wheel while trying to accelerate. I'm starting to suspect sensors attached or involved with the gas pedal right about now. MAF and TPS come to mind straight off. Anyone else have a similar problem?

The more I think about this, the more I start to suspect the fuel system. It's acting like my 4.6 did when the gas tank ran dry during my intake swap (it was already low and I was on an incline). It doesn't want to start, idles like crap and refuses to rev. ONly, the SC has a half tank of premium in the tank, so lack of fuel in the tank isn't my problem here. How do I determine if its the fuel regulator or the fuel pump that is causing my headaches?

Last edited:
probably the harmonic balancer is broke and turned enough to run like junk mine did that too

back in the day, ok like 3 years ago, i had the exact same problem with my 90 mustang with a 5.0... the harmonic balancer had somehow cracked and spun causing horrible vibration and made the engin run like doodie. after a month of messing with the timing and other parts through deduction i took it to a local ford dealer and found out what had happened.... oh yea and about $2k later plus other problems, but that was the biggie

on my Vic, i has a simular problem, it turned out to be the MAF. wouldnt allow the engine to accelerate and would sometimes just die.....might want to start there....

Chrome_Rust said:
on my Vic, i has a simular problem, it turned out to be the MAF. wouldnt allow the engine to accelerate and would sometimes just die.....might want to start there....

MAF is good. Car won't run at all without it.

SanDiegoLXBird said:
Well.. the problem with my new SC is a little more involved than I thought. The SC doesn't develop any power whatsoever. Even in neutral the engine doesn't seem to want to rev. After a moment of having the throttle depressed it will start to pick up. Also.. in gear, I got passed by a 2 year-old on a big-wheel while trying to accelerate. I'm starting to suspect sensors attached or involved with the gas pedal right about now. MAF and TPS come to mind straight off. Anyone else have a similar problem?

The more I think about this, the more I start to suspect the fuel system. It's acting like my 4.6 did when the gas tank ran dry during my intake swap (it was already low and I was on an incline). It doesn't want to start, idles like crap and refuses to rev. ONly, the SC has a half tank of premium in the tank, so lack of fuel in the tank isn't my problem here. How do I determine if its the fuel regulator or the fuel pump that is causing my headaches?

How many miles are on your SC? There could be a number of things causing this so knowing the amount of miles on your SC would help.

Shane

SanDiegoLXBird said:
MAF is good. Car won't run at all without it.

although it somwtimes holds true, it will idle....and when mine went south the Local ford dealer here told me to unplug it and it will run in limp home mode (OBDII car). the car actually has acceleration when it was unplugges, albeit VERY slow.........

i didnt have a good way to check the timing i have a timing lite but wasnt sure what stock was at idle so my harmonic balancer looked fine till i took it off no wobbles or nothing and half stayed on the crank, i wouldnt have never thought of it but thanks to other posts here in the forums ,that was the first thing i checked and they were right, i got a good bhj now that shoudnt break after 2 stock ones broke my car rips now it will prob run to 300k miles im hoping before rebuilding the motor or replacing the blower

Last edited:
quick35th said:
How many miles are on your SC? There could be a number of things causing this so knowing the amount of miles on your SC would help.

Shane

It has 114k on the chassis and 30k on a new engine. Fuel Pressure is at 40psi at idle with the regulator disconnected. The harmonic balancer doesn't run true, so I'm ordering a BHJ unit with a billet crankshaft pulley and will replace it when it gets here. Is it any more complicated that replacing the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer on a 4.6?

Chrome_Rust said:
although it somwtimes holds true, it will idle....and when mine went south the Local ford dealer here told me to unplug it and it will run in limp home mode (OBDII car). the car actually has acceleration when it was unplugges, albeit VERY slow.........

Another P71 owner, sweet :) Wish i had the engine/mods you have though, ah I'll run this one til it dies :D

Stewie said:
Another P71 owner, sweet :) Wish i had the engine/mods you have though, ah I'll run this one til it dies :D

[hijack]
Yeah, i wanted one for about 2 years before i found mine, paid a grand for it, and it came with the new motor. best car i have ever had, so far it is a 14.50 car and my goals are mid 13's N/A. There is a 8 mile road here where i live and on a nice day about a week ago i had the speedo pegged (past 140...WAY PAST) and was still pulling hard after that....so i think with a gear swap, i'll drop half a second.....
[/hijack]

Chrome_Rust said:
[hijack]
Yeah, i wanted one for about 2 years before i found mine, paid a grand for it, and it came with the new motor. best car i have ever had, so far it is a 14.50 car and my goals are mid 13's N/A. There is a 8 mile road here where i live and on a nice day about a week ago i had the speedo pegged (past 140...WAY PAST) and was still pulling hard after that....so i think with a gear swap, i'll drop half a second.....
[/hijack]

That's sweet. Mine is still running the stock non-pi motor, i figure when it goes I'll replace it with a PI motor :D I am impressed though, the PIs seem so much more solid than Civi Vics and she is showing no signs of stopping at 170k miles. Good luck with the goal, always great to see a quick boat!!!!

Back