stripped allen head plug on sc

scott campbell

What size allen head wrench fits this plug? The top half is mangled, I may have a chance at the lower portion. What size threads does this plug use? I want to replace it with a standard bolt. What is a good technique to remove a damaged plug? Thanks for your help...Scott

scott campbell said:
What size allen head wrench fits this plug? The top half is mangled, I may have a chance at the lower portion. What size threads does this plug use? I want to replace it with a standard bolt. What is a good technique to remove a damaged plug? Thanks for your help...Scott
you can use a dremel cutting wheel and slot the head so a regular screwdriver will work. or use the craftsman screw out kit which digs into the metal. they work quite well.

Like NewMx7 said, use the dremel, but at that point I choose to use a chisel to tap (Or beat, depending on how mad you are) the screw counter-clockwise.
Or before you go grinding on it, try to find an allen that will fit tightly and bottom it out with a hammer, then loosen.
If that fails, then try above..

scott campbell said:

Scott,

3/16" Allen wrench. The plug is a standard hardware item. It'a 7/16" SAE countersunk plug with oring seal. You can't stick a bolt in the hole or it will leak. Call Magnum Powers and see if Charles Warner will sell you a new one.

David

Back