Abs Pump Motor Stays On! Help Please!

darkstar_one

hey, okay, i got a new accumulator from PRIOR REMAN. 115 bucks shipped overnight to my door :D now the thing here is i went to a local junk yard and pulled a ABS PUMP MOTOR from a 89 90 91 T BIRD LX. The pump motor works, well i switched the pump motor and accumulator and i installed it on my system, filled up with brake fluid and the pump motor continuously stays on, i already changed the RELAY, the brown one, what else can it be, it stays on for more than the usual 10 - 20 seconds, can it be air in the system? or just a bad pressure switch? oh yeah and the ABS and BRAKE LIGHT continously stay on, also, i havent installed a new pressure switch because it wont be here until TUESDAY, thank you mr CROWN CADILLAC for that. so is it a bad PRESSURE SWITCH? should i jump the pins 3 - 4 on the pressure switch connector to see what it is?

Most people hate reading, and just want a quick answer, but all I can do for ya is...
http://www.35ththunderbirdregistry.org/Tips/ABS.htm
that link helped me out a lot.
It will tell you how to test the pressure switch. Think it is about half way down the page..hope that it is your pressure switch after the trouble your going through to get it.. :rolleyes: I know the junkyard unit I picked up had a crappy pressure switch and would not turn ON the pump. Guess these things don't like to sit around much thus why I'd warn someone before buying a used ABS system from a junk car unless they were using as a core.
Also, it seemed like it took a good 5 minutes for my NEW ACCUMULATOR to completely fill up and before it shut off. I would shut it off after every two minutes or so as I didn't want to overheat my pump motor. It will grunt more and more as it gets full (Accumulator). If it isn't, then it is not building pressure, so make sure you got the little washer thingy that goes on the motor, which turns the pump itself. That could have fallen off during reassembly..

Okay, one more question... Will air in the lines cause the Pump to stay on? I still havent bled the rear brakes... its gonna rain here in LOS ANGELES and its gonna rain for atleast a week... Thanx.

I put on a new Accumulator and it ran and ran. Some guys guys gave me some tips and what seemed to help mine....not neccesarily in this order...

1) Have someone pump the brake pedal a few times and hold it while you crack open the three lines (One at a time) that go into the M/C unit, then tighten before pedal is released (You are bleeding the M/C by doing this).

2) Put your old Accumulator on (Remember to bleed off the pressure first) as I found it easier to pump up the pressure this way even though the old one was shot, it is still full of fluid..after you get the pressure pumped up, then put on your new one and rebleed the brakes..It helped to pump the brakes a FEW times while it started to pump.

3) Bleed the rears with the key on..

Remember not to let the pump motor run for too long or you'll burn it up..

Back