Temperature sending unit leaking

AlanEdwards

I replaced the engine mounts a few weeks ago and had to remove the temp sender to get the right side mount out. After reassembly I started smelling coolant after I drove the car. I couldn't figure it out and was dreading that it might have been the heater core leaking. Then the other day I thought, wait, what about the feakin' temp sender? I checked it out and lo' and behold, that was it. It's leaking a little. I was so relieved.

I'm going to to remove it and tighten it better or seal it, or whatever. Is there a sealer that I should use on the threads to create a better seal? Or, should I just tighten it down better?

Last edited:
It sounds like your talking about the knock sensor and knock sensor bung. I believe I used pipe sealant tape on mine.

Jimmy 2Coupes said:
It sounds like your talking about the knock sensor and knock sensor bung. I believe I used pipe sealant tape on mine.

I just assumed it was the temp sender, because when I removed it I lost some coolant from the block. It's directly in front of the starter, and behind the engine mount. Thanks for the tip on the teflon and pipe sealer tape. I'll do that.

Back