Coolant temp sensor

SCaddict

I got a Autometer electrical temp gauge for Christmas and want to get it hooked up, but I have a question. Can I put the new sending unit in the thermostat housing and if I do, will I get a CEL because the stock sensor is not hooked up?

Not having the sensor hooked up will trick the EEC into constantly thinkin' the engine temp is (I think) around 40 degrees. If I remember right, this can cause a constant rich condition. Maybe a T-fitting would do the job?

Keep in mind that I'm more of the grease monkey type, not a brain like some of these guys so take this particular info with a grain of salt.

'bird

SCaddict said:
I got a Autometer electrical temp gauge for Christmas and want to get it hooked up, but I have a question. Can I put the new sending unit in the thermostat housing and if I do, will I get a CEL because the stock sensor is not hooked up?

Use a tee and keep both sensors wired up if your planning to keep both gauges. If you simply unplug the sender nothing happens except that the gauge doesn't work.

The coolant temp info used by the EEC comes from another sensor located near the pasenger side of the supercharger.

David

Back