89 Tbird SC getting a 351 transplant.

TBirdSC89VA

Decided not to go the 302 route when there's a perfectly good motor capable of making much higher hp/tq numbers. But, as always, I need a few questions answered before I do anything.

- What is the best vehicle to take the 351 out of?
- Big difference between Cleveland and Windsor?
- Do they come carbed or EFI?
- If they come EFI, will I kill myself trying to wire it all into the Tbird?
- With the height differences, all I have to do is get a modified hood?
- Does the 351 need special mounts to fit into the Tbird?
- The 351 should mount up to the T5 tranny currently in the Tbird, right?
- Need special flywheel/clutch/starter?

I appreciate any help :)

Torino

When I first met my wife she drove a 70 sumthin Ford Torino.

Motorcraft Carb, 351c, For as old as it was Pretty strong block. Might find one of those in autotrader pretty cheap.

TBirdSC89VA said:
Decided not to go the 302 route when there's a perfectly good motor capable of making much higher hp/tq numbers. But, as always, I need a few questions answered before I do anything.

You're SC has a T5 tranny in it? Stock is a M5R2 sourced from Mazda. I doubt the 351 will bolt up.

You'll want a Windsor motor since they are more common and there are more parts available for them.

There are quite a few articles on a swap from a 5.0 to a 351W, so those could give you guidance on your upgrade. The engine should be available in Carb or EFI applications. I know my dad's 1976 T-bird had the 351W carbed.

Since it sounds like you don't have a motor yet, why not go with a 460? Here is a thread with a Big block in the sc:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24509&highlight=460+swap

TBirdSC89VA said:

1. What is the best vehicle to take the 351 out of?
2. Big difference between Cleveland and Windsor?
3. Do they come carbed or EFI?
4. If they come EFI, will I kill myself trying to wire it all into the Tbird?
5. With the height differences, all I have to do is get a modified hood?
6. Does the 351 need special mounts to fit into the Tbird?
7. The 351 should mount up to the T5 tranny currently in the Tbird, right?
8. Need special flywheel/clutch/starter?

1. Are you leaving the motor stock, or what are you doing with it?
2. A lot...totally different motors. Stick with the windsor IMO.
3. Both
4. No, if you want EFI, find a donor 5.0L car.
5. Yeah...headers are an issue too.
6, No
7. You have a T5 currently? If you have an M5R2, it will bolt up (T5 will too)
8. Yes, get parts from a truck if you do in fact have an M5R2.

John

dode said:
1. Are you leaving the motor stock, or what are you doing with it?
2. A lot...totally different motors. Stick with the windsor IMO.
3. Both
4. No, if you want EFI, find a donor 5.0L car.
5. Yeah...headers are an issue too.
6, No
7. You have a T5 currently? If you have an M5R2, it will bolt up (T5 will too)
8. Yes, get parts from a truck if you do in fact have an M5R2.

John

The guys on Stangnet.com kept telling me I had a t5 tranny, and I kept saying it's something else. I guess I am 100% sure now, it's the stock 89 SC 5 speed.

If I could take the motor out of my truck, which is a 302, and just use all those parts, and put the motor at 250 hp, I'd be happy. I'm not looking for killer performance. The 3.8 is trashed, parted, and I want to keep the body.

The 460 would be excellent, but judging by reading that post, I think the cost might be a little out of my league. Where would you find one of those motors anyways?

First of all, a stock 302 truck motor is not putting out 250 hp. It is also not even close to being a direct drop in. Pretty much the only thing you can use is the long block.

John

TBirdSC89VA said:
The 460 would be excellent, but judging by reading that post, I think the cost might be a little out of my league. Where would you find one of those motors anyways?

If your concerned about the cost, then the cheapest, easiest, cleanest swap will be with using parts from a T-Bird of the same year with a 5.0. In addition to the motor, you are going to need all the underhood wiring, EEC, the radiator, fan, tach, exhaust manifolds, and all engine accesories.

Unfortunatly, when it's all done it will be slower than a stock SC. That's why I just used the stock T-bird 5.0 parts for the wiring and accesories. Once it was running with the stock motor I installed this one.

347%20turbo%20062904%20002.jpg

David

I think hood clearance will be an issue with the stock hood. I can't even fit the GT-40 EFI system under the hood of my Crown Vic. You should be able to use stock T-Bird 302 mounts. As stated the M5R2 in your car will bolt up to a 351W. The 3.8 uses the same SBF bellhousing bolt pattern.

You should be able to get an engine from any truck or up to '91 Crown Vic. All Crown Vics will have the VV carb. Trucks got EFI at some point, but it's nothing to write home about. Trucks were the only ones to get roller cams. Cannot remember what the cutoff year was for that. If you get a complete engine then you will probably want to upgrade the heads so keep that in mind. Most came with D8, E5 or E6 heads. I cannot remember if the truck engines got E7's or not. I am running D0 heads on mine. Either way stock compression from the mid 70's to the 90's was pretty abysmal. Mine was around 8.3:1.

From what has been said so far on other posts to install the 302, I'd need the 5.0 Tbird mounts, flywheel, starter, and exhaust manifolds. I'm not in the ballgame to get massive HP yet. This is just something to get my bird back on the road, with decent hp, and I have the motor just sitting in a truck I hardly use.

If anyone is looking for a 351 Windsor, I have a recently rebuilt one here for $500 complete, or $450 without the carb. If you're near St. Louis, you can come hear the engine run, make a deposit, go get some lunch or something, and come back and pick it up (should only take an hour or two to pull the engine).

-Rod

rodsv6cougar@cs.com

TBirdSC89VA said:

1. 351W Lightning truck or Cobra R mustang :D , 94 up truck/van blocks can use a roller cam , they have the taller lifter bores, but can crack at the cam journal bores, rare, 75? -93 all about the same, truck 351W rods are stronger than car rods, football shaped rod bolts. Need modified stock MN-12 5.0 exhaust manifolds or custom steering shaft work
2. Lots, go with Windsor, easier
3. W either, C carbed
4. Yes, if you have a 91 SC, use 94 mustang 5.0 MN-12 Bird harness,if its the older 89/90 SC use Fox body mustang harness etc, if you cant solder dont bother converting a SC to a V8 EFI
5. Yes, or cut some holes :D
6. Yes, stock 5.0 MN-12 mounts that are modified, you need the brackets especially or make your own :eek:
7. your trans is a Mazda, all you need is an early 90s F150 starter with a F-150 dust shield or a SC 3.8 dust shield modified to fit the starter, slightly different
8. Need a 351W flywheel from F-150, with F-150 starter and the F-150 SC clutch is the same as the SCs, CENTER FORCE SUCKS *** :D

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Last edited:
TBirdSC89VA said:
Move closer to me!

I'm looking for another T-Bird to puta 351W into(430CID) after seing one in person. And it did look like it belonged there.He basicly said every thing people said to do. He did have a cowl induction hood and headers. He said that it cost him $600.00 from salvage yards,and the engine was $200.00 . The wiring did'nt look real nice ,but it was neat.He said the hard part was getting the motor mounts for the 351W off the 93 Cougar's 302 in a salvage yard in the cold.

Back