crown vic Q

Shoe

anyone know whats different about a 4.6 police interceptor motor and a regular 4.6 on a crown vic,Andrew your our resident 4.6 man any input would be appreciated

Ya thanks Greg.Like I mean,different cam or pistons,crank etc,and any marking on it to identifiy it for a reg 4.6

i do alot of work on the police cars at my work(street brothers auto electric)and as far as i no there the same motor....everyone thinks that there different but the difference in the cop cars is the tranny...they've adjusted the shift points.at least thats what they've told me

Hi John!

More or less it's the same thing. The internals, heads and cams, intake manifold and other bits are the same. There is one difference, however. The oil filter adapter. The POCV's used a different piece to accomodate an oil cooler. What I don't know is if this pertained to all, or just specific years. I have one of these oil cooler adaptors here. Unfortunatey, it won't work on a bird without being REALLY creative - and there's just not enough room for that. Is there a specific year you might be asking about? The POCV's engines made the change to the newer PI status in..... '98 or '99. I'll have to double check that though. I don't remember if it was the same as the Stangs or not.

Since we're discussing it - the POCV's had a better cooling system, bigger rear anti-sway bar and no top speed limiter, among other things. Contrary to popular myth, the stealth Vic's (you all know them, the blue ones) never used a 4V 4.6. It wasn't deemed necessary, or worthy, of Police use.

Keep in mind the Vic's had their airbox/filter on the driver's side of the engine, as opposed to the passenger side in the Birds. Yup, LX's too.

according to a show i watched the other evening the only diff between the normal vic and a cops is as ssaid the tranny is tweeked a bit.most of the differences are in the cooling which is heavier and the suspension has been heavily strengthened.the ghost cars are the same as a street version car except for the cooling system which is heavier.hope this answers your ?

thanks guys, I was looking for a beater for the winter 98 or 99.the crown vic was one that came up as a ex police car,with a police interceptor package. Just wondering if anyone knew anything more. I figured springs,shocks,rims,for the car and maybe a cam difference or bigger valves as changes in the motor.Cause they do advertise as 225HP.Seems high for a 4.6 in a crown vic,regular passenger crown vics of that year didn't have that high of a horsepower .did they?

The '98/99 only had 215 hp. Vic's didn't get PI heads untill '01 (sad, but true). Upgrading things like cams and valves would gain more than 10 hp, surely.

I hope you're getting a really good deal on this, John. I think we all know that these cars, while maintained well, are "high-milers" and are abused in the eyes of the Law. I know you're already aware of this, i'm just re-stating it. Also, having to replace some of the upgraded cooling parts can sometimes be tricky (to find) and/or expensive.

some differences

Shoe said:
anyone know whats different about a 4.6 police interceptor motor and a regular 4.6 on a crown vic,Andrew your our resident 4.6 man any input would be appreciated
im just learning about these cars but i know that the p.i. engine is a romeo motor with larger flowing faster burning heads and the police ecms timings are advanced and the shift points are higher than a normal ecm

coolhand said:
Is the drive shaft on these cars the same as on the LX's?

Nope. Different length. If you want a substitute you can use one from a Mark VIII, but i'm sure you're probably already aware of it.;)

FWIW, you can have an aluminum one custom built in TO for around $250.

Andrew
After I finish getting the new brakes, the torgue converter, and have all the parts painted from the S/C to install on the BlackBird, I will need to start making a lot of new "bricks". Aluminum driveshaft is kind of low on the list right now. Stopping is a priority.

Back