Where is coy Miller's Mass Air meter

strokedsc

I just noticed in the picture of coymillers engine there doesnt seem to be a mass air meter on the intake tube.

Attachments

• coymiller4.jpg
    coymiller4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 479
strokedsc said:
I just noticed in the picture of coymillers engine there doesnt seem to be a mass air meter on the intake tube.

Could it be that doo-hikey on the drivers side of his SC top?

????

91supacoop said:
Could it be that doo-hikey on the drivers side of his SC top?

My best guess is that they are Pressure and Temp. Sensors.
Only a guess, i dont think you could measure air speed there

Iv'e herd of people converting MAF to Speed density somthing or others like the 8's use on the mustang.

strokedsc said:
My best guess is that they are Pressure and Temp. Sensors.
Only a guess, i dont think you could measure air speed there

Iv'e herd of people converting MAF to Speed density somthing or others like the 8's use on the mustang.
it could be in the fenderwell. it should be before the 90 degree bend not after it. mine is in the fenderwell with the cone filter attached.

Simpler design, no emissions calibrations to worry about, more accurate tuning for racing, fewer limitations.

Oh, and WAY overkill for a supercoupe. ;)

Coy uses the Electromotive TEC3 ignition system which does not use a MAF, instead uses a speed density device in its place.

Tec3 Ecu

Super XR7 said:
Coy uses the Electromotive TEC3 ignition system which does not use a MAF, instead uses a speed density device in its place.

Does anyone else use this, If so how do you feel about the tunability over the Apten and SCP tuner/chips?

For a while Ive been tossing and turning on the Idea of Building a Rochester Q-Jet for the SC. Flipping the Blower like mannySC's and Cutting the V out of the bottom attatching a Carb Base. Would look like the Traditonal blowers of the past sticking the carb out the hood with a MRgasket Scoop. :D I think it would look :mad: .

Attachments

• SCsteriods.gif
    SCsteriods.gif
    23 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Does anyone else use this, If so how do you feel about the tunability over the Apten and SCP tuner/chips?

I believe the Electromotive TEC3 ignition system cost several thousand dollars and I haven't heard of anyone using it except Coy. IMO, The new SCT software/chips are all any SC needs.

David

Carbed SC 3.8

Has anyone carbed an SC that ya'll know of.
Not trying to make the fastest SC out there just thought it would be fun to do.

We are currently looking at another stand alone system that costs about 1/2 what the TEC3 does. Like stated above, the main benefits of a system like this is that there is less emphasis on emissions and more emphasis on WOT tuneability. The SCT system is an excellent adaptation of the stock setup and more than enough for an SC making at least 450rwhp. For applications using lots of nitrous, turbo's, or boost/rpms in excess of what an M90 can do, then a stand alone system *may* start to look a little more attractive. Of course a stand alone system is only as good as the tuner so while it can be a benefit, it can also be disasterous for your engine if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

People have carbed the M90 before, but there is no reason to do that. If you understand enough about tuning to be able to tune a carb for use in a blown application, then tuning your EFI is a walk in the park.

Just to further ad to what Dave said..Even the SCT software or even an EEC tuner can be disasterous to a motor. Anytime you are fooling with factory settings and have no idea what you are doing KABOOM.

Advantages of a standalone are many.

A majority of the newer stand alone systems are faster and more powerful than our EEC. MUCH MORE

On some speed density systems you can run wide band o2's
They can use a variety of MAP sensors for higher boost applications.

Individual spark and injector control.

Use of a crank trigger.

Control of knock, multistep rev limiters, Nitrous, fans and numerous other accesories

The most difficult thing with my personal Speed density DFI setup (old school) was getting the car to idle correctly with large injectors. Being that this type of a system(non wideband) works off of vacumme with radical motors that may get a bad vacumme signal at idle it can be a PITA...But with the newer wideband systems out there it's all just 100% easier.

# 1 CON iof speed density.

Speed density systems do not measureairflow so whenever yor VE changes you really need to reprogram.

For a street car though I'd have to say there is no better way then with a mass air system. They make stand alone mass air systems as well.

Our EEC does most of what we need it to do...Its just not as technologically advanced as some of the high end systems out there today. Just think of how fast your computer was 10 years ago...Still did all the same crap....Just a hell of a lot slower..

Anyone know if any of the new stand alone systems.Would have the
capability of fireing two injectors.

Fire a small injector for low RPM.Then fire another injector as RPM rise.
And have these two injectors for one cylinder.

This would be good for emisions tests,and racing tune with or without
gas.

I know Ford has a setup like this on the new GT40.

Randy

Last edited:
Randy N Connie said:
Anyone know if any of the new stand alone systems.Would have the
capability of fireing two injectors.

Fire a small injector for low RPM.Then fire another injector as RPM rise.
And have these two injectors for one cylinder.

This would be good for emisions tests,and racing tune with or without
gas.

I know Ford has a setup like this on the new GT40.

Randy

The TEC3 system can control up to 12 injectors. Their website has a operation manual that is downloadable in PDF format. But as Dave says the system is pricey, with the complete system about $3000.

http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/tec3.html

Super XR7

Randy, I am working on another system that does support staged injectors. It can also run high or low impedence injectors or both. You could run stock injectors for part throttle operation and then have a second stage that comes on only under boost. It also uses the stock cam and crank sensors as well as stock coils and other sensors so it doesn't require a lot of extra stuff that you don't already have.

Part of what I am looking for,
We would allways run a three stage fuel system.Run the A/F right
for 20 foot off the line.Then fat as the other stages were kicked in.
Then start pushing buttons for NOS solenoids to lean the motor out
entering the big end.

ThisTEC3 sounds close to what I am looking for.Just need to
educate myself more on electronic control.I know what I need
to do with a mechanical driven fuel system.

Thanks Super XR7 And XR7 DAVE.

Randsy

Randy N Connie said:
Part of what I am looking for,
We would allways run a three stage fuel system.Run the A/F right
for 20 foot off the line.Then fat as the other stages were kicked in.
Then start pushing buttons for NOS solenoids to lean the motor out
entering the big end.

ThisTEC3 sounds close to what I am looking for.Just need to
educate myself more on electronic control.I know what I need
to do with a mechanical driven fuel system.

Thanks Super XR7 And XR7 DAVE.

Randsy

Just to clarify, I'm not building the system myself, I'm working on getting an application for our vehicles. And yes, the system has the ability adjust mixture during the run, to trigger nitrous in stages, etc. The system I'm talking about is used on ultra high HP turbo/nitrous vehicles. It also has the ability to run closed loop at WOT controlling mixture via WB02 sensors.

Back