Idle Problem?

92scbird

Ever since i've had my SC when i give it throttle in park it will idle up then when i let my foot off that throttle it jumps down to about 2000RPM and holds that idle for a few seconds then it will kick down to normal. i never thought much about it untill i put the 5speed in and now when i press in my clutch it does the same. im not sure if this is a normal thing on a supercharged motor or if maybe i have a problem?

It's not normal. Sounds like unmetered air getting into the intake, or a sticking throttle plate, or a problem with the idle air control solenoid.

theres also a screw on the throttle body to adjust how far the throttle linkage goes down.....i had mine set up high to try to adjust the idle and thats what it did....maybe someone did that to ur bird before you got it.....check it outt

Tonight i unplugged the motor looking thing on the side of my throttle body and my idle problem went away, so i took put one off my donor car and bolted it on, it does the exact same thing. but as soon as i unplug it the idle problem goes away?? :confused:

Yep, your engine should have died when you pulled the connector off that valve. Since it didn't, likely your throttle plate is not set properly to allow proper idling.

The thread David pointed you to will walk you through the setup for proper idle.

If that's not it, then you got a big hole somewhere letting in air that it shouldn't.

Back