Your Thunderbird and Winter Driving

Kobassa Power

As my SC is my only automobile , I drive it all year round.

Despite buying new H rated Performance Winter Tires last year, I still managed to get stuck in a parking lot that resembled an Ice rink.

So for those of us who drive their Birds in the winter , what recommendations/advice can you make ?

I have winter tires ,
winter wipers $6 each,
winter wiper fluid such as CDN tire/Rain-X ,
have 2 x 35 lb weights in the trunk,
Keep the gas tank near full as much as possible,
keep an emergency blanket in the car along with salt, scraper & sweepa broom,
use a remote starter
Will purchase 2 traction claws from CdnTire
Accelerate only on straight aways not while turning.
insulate the battery and grease contacts ?
block heater on a timer ?if possible

Any other ideas or secret tips ?

I'd add a candle and a box of matches..... you'd be surprised how much heat a candle gives out when your stuck in a dead car when its cold out. Just make sure you have a window opened a crack for fresh air.

Dropping the air pressure in your tires by 5psi is good in snow and ice conditions as it puts more rubber on the ground. We did this all the time up north in Timmins. Just remember you've done this before you go for high speed driving on clear days though.

Anyone figure out the block heater or alternative I'd sure like to hear it. A couple of times now I've heard the old "leave me alone" moan when I started in the morning (actually twice in 1 morning, the first was me, then it was my car).

Frit

One of the big issues I had while driving my SC in snow was going up a hill and having to make a turn. It's virtually impossile. I had 4 snow tires all round, bags of cement in the trunk etc.

Get yourself one of those little shovels. Huge life saver for me.

Another tip, that RainX wash is good, but next time around, put the full RainX treatment on your windshield during the fall. Makes a big difference keeping that salt, oil, slush mixture off your windows.

Rations...

A snickers bar or two for rations, note replenishing may be required.
Narrow chunky tires Yoko S401 dedicated winters have worked well for me, pushing the car through deep snow and banks.
Smooth driving and plan ahead way ahead should be your driving style.
PR

And rather than just weights, or perhaps in addition to it, make sure you have a bag of sand in your car, that'll come in handy to help you when you get stuck in an ice lot. I mean a lot of cars would have problems with that.

Sounds like you're on the right track though.

CAA membership can come in handy.....key is not to stop ..that's when you get bogged down ..leave your self room and creep ..momentum is your freind ..in a 4000 lbs car ...light blip on the gas when you turn into a cornor ..and you can slid the *** end with ease... keeping the moment .. when you turn ..and you can really hang it out there ... looking through the side windows and still go straight ...dave

Full props to (MercsSC). All very good advice.

I've found that adding weight is a double-edged sword. When it comes to just snow the more weight the better. I've had 200 pounds in the trunk and in the snow only the car is glued, even with all season radials.

In the ice however, the extra weight actually becomes a big hinderance. All the extra weight actually keeps you from "mounting" any ice ridges/bumps (usually found in parking lots and smaller side streets). The only thing i've found that helps in the presence of ice is a push.

I was very happy to recieve a light tap in the rear by a fellow motorist just the other day when I couldn't move. I was stuck there for almost 2 minutes - he waved, tapped and I was on my way. Thanks to whoever you were.

Tip/secret - SAND!!!!! Put a couple of bags of sand in the trunk. You'll gain extra traction in the snow. If there's ice and no one around to push you can always cut the bags open, dump the sand on the ground around the rear tires, and stand a far better chance of getting out of a jam.

Those CT claw things are a great investment. A properly working diff is also a bigger help than many would think - you always have more traction when two tires are turning, as opposed to just one.... especially when that one tire is the passenger's side and the one that is sitting on sluch/ice.

Candle/matches are good! Also, a cell phone. I see and hear way too many people bitch about cell phones and the plain and simple fact is that in winter it IS your biggest friend.... provided you're in an area with good reception. :rolleyes:

raise it

I drive an LX through the winter,
The down side i found when weighing the car down I
lost alot of hight so I bought these spacers for the springs
front and rear. Gave the car almost an extra 2 inches.
Just the other day I smoked a snow bank, instead of backing
up into traffic I drove through it. In my opinion if you love the
birds like me beat the Lx through the winter. :cool:

I drive my 4.6 LX all year round... its a fregin' joke in the snow. despite having posi it gets stuck all the time!!! I have no winter tires on it so I can't blame anyone but myself... but I have all seasons on it and even in dinky amounts of snow it will get stuck... hell I got stuck 3 times in one day and it wasn't THAT bad!! I even got stuck in the McDonalds drive thru!!

Jake

A voltmeter. Or a checked charging system BEFORE the winter hits. The rainX is awesome. I use it all my windows and mirrors. I use it on the inside of the windshield, this helps cut down on fogging up.

I drive my all year still. But I have never had any "REAL" trouble. that storm we had on the 22 or 23, was no thang. I was the 1st to show up for work. The thing I hate the most about driving in the winter, is a lowered car. Its like a plow. I you can fell and hear the snow hitting the floor, I thought my front air damn was going to ripped off. :rolleyes:

Back