Anyone try AC Rapidfire's

mattyblazer said:
Just wondering if they're worth a shot when I do the head gaskets?

Thanks
-Matt

I have a set of the rapid fires......but sitting in my garage not in the car, if they're are the platinum tipped i would go for it, its just the platinum last longer and others would probably agreee its not so fun regularly trying to change them, so i would stick with the platinums

What would you expect to achieve by using the plugs? Stock plugs have proven to be more than sufficient for many engines, including those putting some serious horsepower to the ground.

Mike8675309 said:
What would you expect to achieve by using the plugs? Stock plugs have proven to be more than sufficient for many engines, including those putting some serious horsepower to the ground.

Just a thought, I have a thing for those plugs in my gm trucks.

Mike8675309 said:

No offense Mike since I'm sure they do work just fine especially since they are platinum plugs, but sometimes the stock parts aren't necessarily the best to use. And a lot of times, you can get different parts cheaper than stock replacements. Persoanlly, I bought a set of NGK platinum plusg for my car, but didn't buy the plugs that were made for the stock replacement. Once you break down NGKs part numbers(which there is a guide on www.sparkplug.com) you can pretty much custom order a set of plugs to do what you want. I went with a 1 step colder plug to help keep my head gaskets intact on ****** Cali gas.

HSKR said:
Once you break down NGKs part numbers(which there is a guide on www.sparkplug.com) you can pretty much custom order a set of plugs to do what you want.

Brian,

The link you put up there is for some kind of marketing firm, not an actual spark plug website. Do you have the correct URL?

The spark plug thing has been chatted up on this site for years. The stock plugs are double platinum to get longevity due to the wasted spark design of the DIS system. Platinum on the annode and cathode. This gives the plug long life. The stock parts are also beefy and give plenty of surface area for the spark to jump to.

Nonstock plugs can sometimes cause problems. If they are single platinum, they will wear out sooner. Some of the non-stock plugs people use (typically fancy ones that are supposed to be "special") have electrodes that are small and will wear away quickly. Some have too low of a resistance, some have too high of a resistance.

Sure there are non-stock plugs that will work but you never know until you try them. And since plugs are such a pain on our cars, finding out you installed plugs that don't work well isn't fun. So if you stick with stock you are sure to win.

Now one of the Dave's is running stock plugs in a non platinum style. But he is racing his car and changing plugs often. Regular non-platinum plugs would wear away if you left them in our motor for as long as double platinums can run. And if you're racing you should be planning on changing plugs often anyways to keep times consistant and keep peak performance.

The DIS and EDIS ignition systems on our cars put out some pretty hot sparks, and can be finicky about things like plug wires.

If you find a non-stock plug that works, go for it. It's just trying to see if it works can be a struggle.

Back