AOD Shift Linkage Adjustment

clanfear

I just swapped a new transmission in to replace my old blown one. Everything went fairly smoothly, considering the pain in the *** that operation tends to be. However, when it came to getting the transmission and the shifter in sync, I ran into some issues. First of all, the process described in my Haynes manual is total gibberish, asking you to use the wrong nut for adjustment. So I don't have a good resource to work from. Then, when I connected everything and adjusted it (I matched it up in Overdrive, assuming OD really is the third detent from complete counterclockwise like the manual told me). I noticed that my shifter was only locking into place in Park and Overdrive. I distinctly remember it locking in to place in every gear before. The funny thing about this is that the locking action is part of the shift box, right? I didn't tamper with it while doing my swap and it was locking into place fine before I pulled everything out. Is it possible I damaged something inside it while doing work? Or am I missing something?

I also need a basic rundown of how to properly adjust the linkage, since I was mostly winging it.

Thanks everybody.

Adjust everything in neutral. If everything gets locked down in neutral and it is not correct something is bent or backwards or something.

Back