I cant get my "idiot" light to turn off HELP!

94SCBird

i bought my SC about a month ago, and the light was on when we bought it and i figured i could just live with it, but damn that things distracting lol i was woundering if anybody in here has had this problem everytime i get in my car the door ajar light stays on, constantly (and yes i've checked my doors so for the smart a$$'s out there thats not it lol) and my drivers door sags, you really gotta slam it to get it to close could that be the problem? just let me know if you guys have any ideas out there.

thanks 94SCbird

like many cars ive seen and heard about cars seem to get a glitch in the electronics ex: the CEL stays on at all time and so on you may wanna have it checked out it may just be a faulty wires or it may also be the door but get it checked out or if you cab deal wooth it let the light have its fun...... :D

side note i hate the guy i got to freakin work with total retard speaks no english sorry but im at work and he just pissed me off again :mad:

maybe the door isn't making contact with the switch? try opperating it with your finger?

Just b/c the door is closed, that doesn't mean that the switch is being engaged properly.

MikeKanterakis said:
maybe the door isn't making contact with the switch? try opperating it with your finger?

Just b/c the door is closed, that doesn't mean that the switch is being engaged properly.

i second that good call

The size and weight of these doors cause the hinges to go bad and make the door sag.

XR7 Dave has a fix for this problem, I think.

CORRECTION: its not the door if it was the bell would ring 247 if you open the door and the bell is on then you shut it and it goes off its a wire problem.

94SCBird said:
and my drivers door sags, you really gotta slam it to get it to close could that be the problem?

thanks 94SCbird

This was the part of the question that I was answering. I have seen this on most cars with large heavy doors like ours and El Camino's.

Door ajar light fix

ok...you're going to have to go out and buy a roll of electrical tape and a nie sharp knife for this.......

now that you have the neccesary equiptment, cut a 2 inch strip of electrical tape off the roll using the knife. Now carefully place the piece of electrical tape over the light on the dashboard. Problem solved :D

the-big-e said:
This was the part of the question that I was answering. I have seen this on most cars with large heavy doors like ours and El Camino's.

as i posted in my last post i cant be the doors. yes he should fix the sagg but that is not the door ajar problem he is having its a electronic problem the same reason soem cars show check engine at random either faulty wires or a wire is going bad.

You guys are way off track.....

there is a swith inside the door on that latch that has gone bad, if the door ajar light is on steady. I've replaced both of mine already. Its easy to replace if you are mechanicaly (sp) :confused: inclined.

so how come the bell goes off when he closes the door(not sure if it does but i guess it does) the door should be fine. did your bell go off when you closed the door if it did then you may be right

on the 89 i have been playing with the same thing was happening, in the door itself there is a switch at the latch. It operates the automatic belts and if it is bad the ajar light will illuminate. I had to unplug the wires to make the light go off, but then the auto-belts stopped working on the passenger side, it is now back, and wont go forward....big deal....

Try there first and see what happens....

The "idiot" light will come on if the fuel sender resistance is below approx. 19 ohms (low on fuel), the temperature sender resistance is below approx. 12 ohms (high coolant temp.), the oil pressure sender is open (low oil pressure), or the fuel gauge anti-slosh/gauge warning module is defective. The module, which is a small PCB in the instrument cluster, could have popped out slightly from its slot or may be defective. The attached picture shows the module in the middle next to the AA battery. You will need one from a T-bird with a tachometer, unlike the one on the left in the picture which is for cars without a tachometer.
You can either reseat the module, replace it, disconnect the fuel and coolant temp. senders, or ground the oil pressure sender to find the cause of your problem.

The door ajar light will stay on constantly if the switch at the door latch for either door is not being activated (door not closing completely or latch not greased sufficiently), is stuck in the depressed position, or if the switch wiring is shorted to ground.

Attachments

• PCB.jpg
    PCB.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
mlbuxbaum said:
there is a swith inside the door on that latch that has gone bad, if the door ajar light is on steady. I've replaced both of mine already. Its easy to replace if you are mechanicaly (sp) :confused: inclined.

can you give me like a walk through or maybe some pictures on how to fix this because yes i am mechanically inclined and i jus want it off lol

94SCBird said:
can you give me like a walk through or maybe some pictures on how to fix this because yes i am mechanically inclined and i jus want it off lol
remove your door panel(s), look inside the door towards the latch assembly, you will see 2 wires going to the actual switch on the latch.There should be 2 philips head screws holding the switch to the latch assembly, remove 2 screws ( kind of a pain to get to one of them if I remember correctly), remove switch, and replace with new one. Easier way would probably be to just disconnect the switch, but I would replace the switch it it were my car. Hope this helps you out.

Back