Manual shift lever

Bymet

I have an SC 5 speed shift lever that I have been using in my 95 LX that has a T-45, 5 speed conversion. My question to you SC 5 speed experts is does the lever come apart? It looks like it's a 2 piece design with a top part with the rubber bushing slipping over the bottom piece that bolts to the shifter. The reason I want to know is that I want to straighten out the bend (the angle is too much for my application) but I don't want to wreck it by putting too much pressure on the top piece. I noticed that there is a small hole at the top of the lever. Is there a set screw of some kind at the bottom of the hole?
Thanks in advance for your help

Jim

Hurst

Hurst used to sell hundreds of different shift levers. The catalog even showed each lever from 2 views, side & rear. That would seem easier than trying to heat & rebend a shift lever.

68COUGAR

Mike8675309 said:
This walk through on rebuilding the shifter shows a exploded diagram of it. It looks a bit short for doing any bending. Best you could do is extend it with a prebent piece.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/M5R2 Shifter Rebuild.htm

Mike
I'm a former Minnesotan (Edina) now living in Southern Cal
I appreciate the information however my question was in regards to the shift lever itself. Not the shifter on the transmission. Do you have an SC with a 5 speed? If so you know what the lever looks like. It appears to me to be a 2 piece unit with the fat part of the lever with the rubber sleave inside slipping over the angled part that bolts to the transmission shifter. My question is how do you get the 2 pieces apart? There is a hole in the top where the knob screws on to. I'm wondering if these is some kind of set screw in the bottom. I tried probing inside there with no luck.

Thanks

Jim

I haven't actually taken the lever apart. I wasn't aware the upper part was two pieces. Maybe someone else can help you out. If you search for the user "racecougar" and send him a PM, he may be able to answer your question. User Tbird88 also. Both those guys take a lot of cars apart and probably have worked with that part quite a bit.

Back