Removing the Alternator...

Blown_347_SC

I know this is getting repetitive, but I really don't want to have to remove my upper IC tube...

Basically, I'm up at school, and I broke the socket (I think it was 10mm) that you use to remove the bolts on the SC top...

Is it possible to simply remove the tensioner in order to get the alternator out?

I've already got a couple of the alternator bolts loosened or out, and I just have the rear L bracket, and the bottom one that hits the IC left....

Getting frustrated now that I broke the socket, so some help would really be appreciated...

Thanks fellas.

my friends dad just worked patiently and it took him about a half hour to weasel it out and 20 mins to get the new one in place

Maybe. I tried on my 1993 to just pull the tensioner and I couldn't see any way to make it fit. So I ended up pulling the top.

I'm sure someone up at school with you can find the proper socket.

Yeah, thanks... I'm gonna try and bum another socket from someone...

Do you have any tips on how to reseal the IC tube to the IC?

Blown_347_SC said:
Yeah, thanks... I'm gonna try and bum another socket from someone...

Do you have any tips on how to reseal the IC tube to the IC?

Easy way is to use RTV. I prefer permatex ultra blue. The best way woudl be to order the re-usuable gaskets.

It was easy to remove the alternator the other day when mine failed.

1) Remove belt and tensioner, disconnect battery.

2) Remove winshield washer bottle from left inner fender

3) Remove P/S cap to access two bolts that secure bottom of ignition coil bracket. Also remove third coil bracket bolt on the other side of the coils, plug wires from coils, and set coil and bracket assembly to one side. Also back out the upper IC tube stud and nut that you can see right over the P/S pump. 7mm end on that stud. You don't have to remove it completely, just back it off until it's flush on the other side.

4) Remove small bolt from back of alternator and loosen other side of small support that runs between the back of the alternator and the main bracket. Remove alternator electrical connections.

5) Loosen and pull forward bottom attaching bolt of alternator. It won't come out, but it will come out far enough to release alternator.

6) Remove upper bolt from alternator.

7) Now you rotate the alternator counter clockwise as you face it (you'll be on the side of the car leaning over the intercooler tube, but you get the idea) and disengage the bottom of the alternator from the bracket. Now just guide the bottom of the alternator along the tube until you have enough clearance to get the top of the alternator past the top of the bracket.

All in all it's a piece of cake. Second easiest job on an SC I've found.

Now, doing an unexpected 3G install with hand files OTOH :mad:

Back