rebuilding a 3.8 SC engine

LostDreamer

well im kinda new to SC's and am looking to rebuild my engine soon. with living in Los Angeles and working in Norco its a far drive and my sc is my daily driver until it get another car. for i guess the first thing i need to do is buy an engine rebuilding packet not sure where to buy one for our cars. i also would liek an in depth step by step instructions on how to remove my engien diasemble and asemble and reinstal the engine pictures may help if you wanna pm me so im able to print it out. any special tools i need please let me know so i can get them. thaks a lot-Joel

LostDreamer said:
well im kinda new to SC's and am looking to rebuild my engine soon. with living in Los Angeles and working in Norco its a far drive and my sc is my daily driver until it get another car. for i guess the first thing i need to do is buy an engine rebuilding packet not sure where to buy one for our cars. i also would liek an in depth step by step instructions on how to remove my engien diasemble and asemble and reinstal the engine pictures may help if you wanna pm me so im able to print it out. any special tools i need please let me know so i can get them. thaks a lot-Joel

Joel,

As far as the instructions go, buy a Haynes repair manual for about $25 from the autoparts store.

David

i would but ive yet to find one for a tbird sc t hjey do have thunderbirds do the thunderbirds have the same engien as the sc?

The "Thunderbird" book has info on all the different models, including the SC.

Sounds like you have yourself an uphilll battle. Good luck. Take your time.

Joel,

Like Mike said the manual covers all Thunderbirds. The one I have covers, 3.8 NA, 3.8 Supercharged, 5.0 and 4.6 engines.

David

hey mike and dave thanks alot im gonna try to get one this weekend. and i am planning on taking my time im not going to rebu8ild it until it hits 200,000 miles right now it has 166,xxx miles but i wanna learn all i can learn and make sure i do it right and not screw anything up. i also need a cherry picker and engine holder :D

LostDreamer said:
hey mike and dave thanks alot im gonna try to get one this weekend. and i am planning on taking my time im not going to rebu8ild it until it hits 200,000 miles right now it has 166,xxx miles but i wanna learn all i can learn and make sure i do it right and not screw anything up. i also need a cherry picker and engine holder :D

since you sound like such a innocent Sc owner im gonna sabe you a few bucks and headaches.

for startes a the go fast in a mn12 is very very expensive most of us dont realize how expesive until youre too deep in it, and it aint easy parts are expensive and not plentiful , sometimes a ruotince maintance , can cost like 100 or more, problems dont only come from the engine they come form the suspension and brake system , our cars a excellent idea , but awfully realized , a ahead of their time car.

now after the bs session

do the exhaust as soon you can at least change the resonator, about 100 bucks for a magnaflow one , before you ask running without a resonator sounds horribly and flowmasters dont flow that well. +- labor

change the balancer for a BHJ one even before waiting to rebuild the engine could save your crank about 700dlls for the whole thing incluiding ASP underdrives. +- labor

check your upper and control arms , if they look worn change them ASAP , do the strut rod bushings and endlinks while youre there oh a nd the shocks too go koni dont use KYB if not go mn12 sprot shocks in the front, for the rears use cobra 03 convertible rear shocks about 1200 for the whole thing + - labor.

motor mounts do them too about 100 + labor.
just there you got a sos so reliable SC , with the major problems except HG , corrected, about 3000dlls , the car is worth about 2500-3000dlls.

Last edited:
Back