motor building questions

Bleed_Ford_Blue

I have a pile of goodies laying around here so I have decided to build a motor for my 95 as I think it would be best to take my time and build another motor than to try to get it all on my car in a weekend. Plus with a motor replacement I get to replace the the clutch and motor mounts. So here are my questions

1 I will be using all early model parts with the exception of my blower. Do I need to use an early model balancer or a late model balancer, and why??

2 I have a non EGR inlet plenum that is WAY bigger than a MP can I safely delete the EGR on my car, will it have any negative effects?

3 I have seen several posts about HGs brands and I dont think I ever really figured out which is the best ones. I will be making bunches of boost and I dont wanna crack one of these off, so what brand is recommended. Also I dont like to reuse bolts, any recommendations on head bolts for these or will NAPA bolts do.

4 My family races alot and from my experience in car building, I know that any loss of rotating weight is a major plus. So I am pretty sure I can skinny up the flywheel by surfacing it down to the shoulder and maybe even some off the other side. Has anyone done this? Any negatives?

5 In the 3 blocks I have laying around none of them have any ring grooves (obviously cast out of high quality metal) SO I am not wanting to bore my motor, but I do think I should replace the rings since Im going to be in there anyway. Anybody have any ring recomendations.

6 Bearings, I need some recomendations on these too.

I would appreciate it if only those who have done similar projects would reply, I dont want any guesses or brother in law info. Not trying to step on any toes here but I dont want to re-do anything because of bad information.

1 I will be using all early model parts with the exception of my blower. Do I need to use an early model balancer or a late model balancer, and why??

Depends on what model year car you are putting it into. Use the same year balancer as the car. The older models use a different crank trigger and the balancers are a bit different.

3 I have seen several posts about HGs brands and I dont think I ever really figured out which is the best ones. I will be making bunches of boost and I dont wanna crack one of these off, so what brand is recommended. Also I dont like to reuse bolts, any recommendations on head bolts for these or will NAPA bolts do.

I always use Fel-Pro gaskets. I have heard of people using the 4.2 gaskets, but I believe you need a certain surface finish on the heads and block to use them. ARP head studs are probably going to give you the most strength. FYI the factory head bolts are torque to yield one use bolts.

4 My family races alot and from my experience in car building, I know that any loss of rotating weight is a major plus. So I am pretty sure I can skinny up the flywheel by surfacing it down to the shoulder and maybe even some off the other side. Has anyone done this? Any negatives?

Just be careful. The stock hydraulic clutch system is very sensititve to flywheel thickness. There are aftermarket aluminum flywheels available and that would probably be a better alternative although pricier.

Back