clutch master cylinder

89Superbird5spd

ok so im trying to replace the little plastic clip that holds the master cylinder pushrod to the clutch pedal. i went under there and started moving stuff around, but i just cant seem to figure out where to start to get this little sucker off. i know some of you guys have done this before. any insights as to how i should go about doing this?
-RJ

Squeeze the tabs of the clip on the outside of the pushrod and slide the pushrod off.

Or you can just put a screwdriver between the pushrod and the clutch arm and twist it off. The bushing is just plastic and it will break ( no big deal since you are replacing it) and the pushrod will come off.

Twist and swear. I am six foot four and my old neck and back are sore as heck from being under that dash, I just don't flex like I used too. Get a good light so you can see what you are doing and be patient. With practice you can get to the clip just by feel. You can just run your hand up the pedal and when you get to the pushrod just pop if off. My pedal assembly was worn to where the rod popped right off while driving the car. Once off you can remove the old clip/bushing. Insert the new clip into the pushrod and then push it back onto the pedal assembly. should only take you a few minutes for the whole job.

Changing the Clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly is another story. With about 100 more times swearing and cussing.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Back