autozone damper

tjbird

Hey guys as always is great to talk and learn from you, I was wondering whats the deal with the autozone damper?, has anyone used it? is it worth it?, Just wondering because I´m close to getting enough money to buy a damper, also does anyone know why is the reason that only Ford and BHJ make them, is the patent the reason?, thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link COUGARSC to that thread I was searching for it, I think the BHJ is the answer, I´m just a few bucks close anyways, but I also was curious about the whole damper deal thanks

tjbird said:
Hey guys as always is great to talk and learn from you, I was wondering whats the deal with the autozone damper?, has anyone used it? is it worth it?, Just wondering because I´m close to getting enough money to buy a damper, also does anyone know why is the reason that only Ford and BHJ make them, is the patent the reason?, thanks in advance.

Check the "for sale" forum. If interested, I have one that I am selling.

Super XR7

AutoZone Balancer

Hey Guys.
I just bought an AutoZone balancer (594-051) for my 94 and it did come with the crank sensor ring. I believe it is zero balanced since there are drill spots on the outer ring. It was about $130. It looks to be a decently made unit (even if it says made in China). Go to www.dormanproducts.com and type in the part number and select details. It didn't come with a new bolt but it did include a new woodruff key. Interestingly in the installation instructions it says...
"Some balancers require bolt replacement. If a bolt is in this box, it is because of a recall that was done by the vehicle manufacturer for the original harmonic balancer."
The instructions go on to say this concerning the pulley...
"In order to maintain proper balance, you must preserve the orientation of the pulley to the balancer."
It goes onto explain how to transfer the pulley to the balancer.
There were no instruction on transfering any pins.
I will upload a pic as soon as my wife returns with the camera.
Bill

Attachments

• balancer2.jpg
    balancer2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
See the yellow arrow, it's not zero balanced. That big chunk is for the imbalanced NA 3.8L.

Attachments

• balancer2 (Large).jpg
    balancer2 (Large).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 98
Ah ha!
Your are right! Now that I can see the balancer currently on my engine, the outer ring thickness is consistent. This new balancer is definately NOT balanced. The computer system on AutoZone is incorrect. The Doorman web site lists this for the 3.8 engine. It doesn't list it for the SC. CRAP! Plan "B". BHJ.
:mad:

Back