Hmmm didn't know that would happen

Phillio99

So I've been slowly porting my intlet plenum, (gunna move serious air boys don't you worry) and I have come to the realization that the grinding stone I have been using is without a doubt filling up with aluminum. I hear the rumor is if I grind that thing on a piece of steel, all the aluminum will come off. True? False? Suggestions? Question number two. My supercharger oil plug, has, in a previous owner's possesion i swear, by rounded out horribly, I can't get the allen wrench to fit. Now I got one of these bolt extracters and tried that, no dice. Any advice how to get that sucker out? The bolt extracter now left a little hole for oil to leak out and I really need to port that s/c and if i can't add oil then its a no go, so help would be a lifesaver.
Sorry for the novel,
Phil

Phillio99 said:
So I've been slowly porting my intlet plenum, (gunna move serious air boys don't you worry) and I have come to the realization that the grinding stone I have been using is without a doubt filling up with aluminum. I hear the rumor is if I grind that thing on a piece of steel, all the aluminum will come off. True? False? Suggestions? Question number two. My supercharger oil plug, has, in a previous owner's possesion i swear, by rounded out horribly, I can't get the allen wrench to fit. Now I got one of these bolt extracters and tried that, no dice. Any advice how to get that sucker out? The bolt extracter now left a little hole for oil to leak out and I really need to port that s/c and if i can't add oil then its a no go, so help would be a lifesaver.
Sorry for the novel,
Phil

Put a drop of JB weld on an alen wrench that sorta fits and let it set up for 24 hours with the allen wrench in the plug. Should be able to break it loose then. Don't get any on the threads though! Get a new plug and toss the old one.

Phillio99 said:
Sorry for the novel,
Phil
It only works if you are using a carbide burr bit, not a stone. I never use stones on anything, only burr bits. Take a look at this page for some ideas on porting your plenum. Also, to help/accelerate the cutting action and to keep the bit clean, a few drops of TapMagik (for aluminum) goes a long way.

http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/tbirds/hbc/v/verno.htm

Great tip by discipled1 on the JBweld!

'bird

Oil Fill Plug

discipled1 said:
Put a drop of JB weld on an alen wrench that sorta fits and let it set up for 24 hours with the allen wrench in the plug. Should be able to break it loose then. Don't get any on the threads though! Get a new plug and toss the old one.
This made me wonder if there might be a different plug that would work. Maybe a plug with a bigger allen hole or a square pipe plug.

Thoughts anyone?

68COUGAR

My plug was rounded out when I bought my car as well. I took a flat blade screwdriver and used a hammer to break the plug loose. Used the screwdriver on the edge and made a groove by hitting it with the hammer, the tilted the screwdriver a littler and used th ehammer to hit it and break the plug loose. The sudden shock fom hitting it with the hammer helps to break it loose. Now that it's loose, I just take a flat blade screedriver that is slightly bigger than the hole and pund it in with a hammer, then I can turn the plug out. You should be able to use any plug that has an o-ring seal on it to replace the stock one. I researched this at one time and there are other options, i just never got aroud to buying one. Just need to make sure the threads are the same.

Porting going well, just using a liberal about of oil and all is well for now. Im thinking this jb weld idea is something im going to have to try. Has anyone ever used a bolt extracter before? I was thinking of using a bolt extracter with jb on the end, let it sit then use that to pull it out. If I used an allen wrench wouldn't that hit the side of the blower as I turn the bolt out? Then I'd have to cut the allen wrench apart to finish getting the bolt out. Extracter good idea? By the way imagine using a 2.5 lB tank and compressor to attempt to port the inlet, not going anywhere for awhile grab a snickers!

Phillio99 said:
If I used an allen wrench wouldn't that hit the side of the blower as I turn the bolt out?

Not if you put the long end of the allen into the plug, and then used something like a box-end wrench over the end of the short side to get some leverage.

Oh yea one last question

About porting the inlet on the s/c, Ive read and read and read threads and articles and on and on, and now I am confused. I hear all this 120 degree 160 degree stuff being thrown around and my question is, can I grind my s/c inlet as big as possible and then just port my s/c outlet 1/4 in all the way around? Is this gunna help me? I have an early model blower by the way.
Thanks,
Phil

I know somebody has the answer here, come on boys help a brother out.
Sorry for sounding like an idiot,
Phil

Open the inlet up until you have about a fat 1/8 gasket surface left (3/16 would be better), no less.

1/4 all the way around the outlet won't hurt a thing.

'bird

Way to come through in the clutch for me boys, thanks for all the help time to fire up the ol die grinder again and give it whirl.
Thanks,
Phil

Back