Auto shift knob replacement

90CougXR7

I did a search in the forums but found nothing relating to my issue.

I am replacing my leather shift knob on my AOD and I need to know how to get the damn thing off. I can see where it's attached to the bottom plastic piece. I was told that you just press in the shift button and pull straight up and it's supposed to pop off but it's not doing it. I put the tranny into N and it still won't work. Are there any clips or anything else I need to be aware of in replacing this piece?

Just do like what you told. That's what I did when I got the idea for a shift boot. Put in N, and pull up really hard. I was kneeling between the seats and after it popped off, i damn near hit my head on the roof. It's a real PITA to get it off.

-Andy "Melon"

if for 89-93 aod

hey, just a thought for if you dont like the looks of the shifter stock, u can shorten the shaft and leave out the middle peice of leather. After you have removed the knob, decide on how much to take it down(i did about 2" if i remember correctly). On both the metal shaft, and the plastic stick inside, mark the deduction. And carefully cut both, of course leaving a bit extra on the plastic rod. I used a hacksaw for the metal shaft, easy stuff, just put something underneath to catch the shavings. Testing is just to make the plastic rod perfect so it will shift through all gears. Minor filing of the plastic ribs on the inside of the knob will be nessesary to fit back on to the shaft. Just be extra careful not to hit the knob button lever, I put a peice of tape on a drill bit for the depth and slowly worked the ribs away. Test fit lots so you get the most secure fit, mine does not twist at all, even when racing ;) here are some pictures... http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/645431/2 I found that it improved the looks and feels much better having my hand down more. Happy New Years, Brett

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I saw what you did with your shifter and I think that I'll just have to do that with mine. Looks like a good weekend project for me...

Back