The stump of stumpers...

Bigme574

Turned on the car...heard a noise from the master cylinder...like an electronic pumping/ snapping...shut the car off and it sounded fine, forgot about it. Next time I started it, went to go to the store...BAM no brakes, hard as a rock. Now, there is a sqeeking from my streering column when I turn and my key comes out while the car still runs. Thinking to myself that the power for the booster is hooked to the ignition switch. Now, I have had a pedal do this before and traced it to the ignition switch after 1.5 mopnths of sitting nad it worked after replacing it. Should I bother with this? Also, the car has a miss. When I accelerate it putters like it is not getting/getting too much fuel. I thought maybe DIS, but swapped with an old spare and same thing. All vac lines are great. Only pulled an 02 sensor code once. Also, new plugs wires, cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter. YES I AM STUMPED! can anyone with any expertice help me out!?? I am in debt to my knees and school is out and my hours are cut to 10 per week or less! have some sympathy...or atleast empathy. haha

Thanks in advance, great start to my new year,
Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu
89SC 5-speed.

One thing to look for on the ignition switch is the actuating gears and rod. I had to fix a Ford for the inlaws that had a similar problem. It was the rod (plastic) that broke, keeping the ignition switch in the run position. The squeeking may be from the pin that keeps the wheel locked when the car is off or some debris.

As for the miss, it could be any number of things but based on things I have read here on SCCoA site, possible dirty or bad injector, dirty MAF sensor wires, or a air temp or cooland temp sensor that is on the fritz. Did you replace the plugs as well? If not, that is also a good place to check.

Don't use any cleaner on the MAF wires. There are some posts on cleaning the wires from other that have done them. (just what I have read).
Good luck!
Bill

maf?

Well...i did the 70mm swap with electronics for my MAF in my 89. The wires look clean. Could this be my MAP sensor? I am getting bad gas mileage, and if my egr is not functioning properly as a result of the map, cna I thenm be running rich since the egr is not opening letting in ambient exhaust? Lemme know!

Aaron

Back