Car acting very odd

LowHP

I bought a 93 Supercoupe automatic a couple months ago and today it started misbehaving. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Symptoms:
I started the car this morning, no problems there. I head out into the alley, and the brakes are really weak, then they grab suddenly, jerking the car to a halt. Ran fine all around town.

I took it through a express car wash before work. After I came out I put the car into drive and the car's engine started acting erratically. After a few seconds of fluctuating RPMs and a check engine light that kept flashing on and off, it died. RPMs ranged from just under 500 to a little over 1000. Seems weird, but the car starts right back up. Work is only a few hundred yards so I drive it there. It dies as I slow down, after another bout of fluctuating RPMs and flashing check engine lights. For a few seconds as I pulled into the parking lot the check engine light stays on. At this point I think it's water in the DIS or some other computer controlled thing, so I limp into a space to let it dry out for 6 hours.

The trip home is something like this: start car let idle for a few seconds, the RPM and flashing light thing starts up again, car dies in its parking space. Twice. I pop the hood, start checking plugs, pop the filter to check for obstructions and start her up. I limp home, with the car in neutral as much as possible (the RPM fluctations were making the ride jerky in drive). The car seemed to do ok over 2k RPMs. When the car up shifts, it start going herky jerky, acting odd again. A couple times it died while slowing at a light. A couple times the tach went to shot 1500 on its own accord (a little nerve wracking when your foot is on the brake and and the other car is 20 feet ahead stopped at the light). Sometimes the check engine light would stay on for a little while and the car would behave normally. The light would go out for about 15 seconds, then it would start have problems again. Everytime it died, it restarted just fine. Fortunately it's only a 12 minute drive.

It died twice as I pulled in the driveway, coasting into a parking spot.

Only mods to the car are a panel filter and maybe a shift kit from the previous owner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Back