Front wheel bolts, threads died

vesqu

Hi there,

Last autummn, when I was preparing my Cougar XR7 (90) for winter hibernation, I noticed that several front wheel bolts are worned (threads).

My question, can I change wheel bolts one by one or do I have to buy new hub and bearing assembly (with wheel bolts). Thanks in advance!

Brgds-Vesa, Finland

You can purchase replacement wheel studs... At least in the U.S. you can. Then have the old ones pressed out of the hub and new ones pressed in. If the new ones are too long they can always be cut down to size.

Hi Mike,
I'm coming to US in middle of Jan. Can I just step in to local parts&accessories shop or should I preorder wheel studs in advance?

Brgds-Vesku

Any Automotive Parts Store

vesqu said:
I'm coming to US in middle of Jan. Can I just step in to local parts&accessories shop or should I preorder wheel studs in advance?

Brgds-Vesku
You should be able to buy them almost anywhere. Auto-Zone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Federated Auto Parts. Even a High-Performance parts store should have them.

68COUGAR

I belive our stud is a M12-1.5 thread size. Not sure of the length. You should see if you can measure yours before trying to track one down in case they can't find it by application. They should be able to, but you'll just want to double check.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll manage to get these.

One related question. I have some other items to purchase on my list and I'm planning to order them to be shipped to our office in Boston (so I can just pick up them when I come to US). Any suggestion about companies who has decent online shopping in place, personally I'm looking to use Napa (www.napaauto.com) and 'Genuine Ford Parts' (http://www.parts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213787).

Brgds-Vesku

Thanks, I just placed my order to Rock Auto. Nice web site (even though I'm not a big fan of java applets, but it works well) and their pricess seems to be more than reasonable. Looking forward to use Dan too when he has his web site up and running.

Brgds-Vesa

Back