5-speed EEC without EGR???

SCollord90

So it would seem that when my 02 sensor melted the wires connected across the header and seem to have ruined my EEC (in a 90 auto). Since I am planning to to a 5-speed swap I also have a 89 5-speed EEC. Well today I swapped them out and the car runs great now except it keeps throwing codes regarding the EGR.

So the question is: Can I get a 5-speed EEC without it looking for an EGR?
I know that people have used their AOD EEC's with a 5-speed swap; does it work like a normal 5-speed? Is their anyway to use the EEC and just tell it to ignore the EGR? Does anybody have any advice?

The ’89 and ’90 5-speed and AOD cars as well as all the ’94 and ’95 cars had
EGR. There may be a few exceptions to this rule, but this information is
generally accepted as true.

SC EGR by Year/Transmission Type

89 - Both: Had EGR

90 - Manual: Had EGR
90 - Auto: No EGR

91 - Both: No EGR

92 - Both: No EGR

93 - Both: No EGR

94 - Both: Had EGR

95 - Both: Had EGR

No, you cannot get a 5spd EEC that does not look for EGR. Get an auto EEC or get an EGR transducer and plug it into the harness.

Be very careful swapping EECs throughout the years. While the connectors are deceptively the same, the pinouts changed in some year. Also, the 94-95 computers are not compatible with any of the earlier years since they have the newer DIS system.

You will need some wiring diagrams to check out the pin outs.

XR7 Dave said:
No, you cannot get a 5spd EEC that does not look for EGR. Get an auto EEC or get an EGR transducer and plug it into the harness.
why cant you find one my 92 sc 5spd has no egr does it still look for egr, ?

he is going 5spd or am i missing something here?

XR7 Dave said:
MY 92 is a five speed and I have no EGR, nor does the program in the eec look for that signal.

The 92 5-speed EEC does not have EGR as stated in a previous post. That 92 computer will NOT work in the 90, due to the pinouts being very different.

gldiii said:
The 92 5-speed EEC does not have EGR as stated in a previous post. That 92 computer will NOT work in the 90, due to the pinouts being very different.
ahh now I see thanks

To add to George's post, an 89-90 EEC could be traded, a 91-93 traded (I think... I've heard some info the 93's were a little different) then the 94-95s. But, a 95 to a 90 wouldn't even start and even a 91 to a 90 barely runs (I tried it with 2 5spd 'puters I have).

Your choices are the auto EEC as Dave mentions or getting a tuner of some kind (EEC Tuner or SCT setup) that can turn the EGR off.

A while back I had a copy of Spiro's beta EEC Tuner software that could turn the EGR off (had 3 settings actually). I've since changed laptops and can't find Spiro to get the software code again. Would be nice if we had software that would work with an EEC Tuner that had those capabilities. The basic ShiftMaster software doesn't cover it. I'm not quite ready to throw my EEC Tuner away and spend $800 to get a SCT kit with, from what I've heard, about the same software I had from Spiro 2 years ago. I could be totally wrong though as I haven't seen the SCT software firsthand.

I have the necessary software from my old EEC Tuner. What file do you need?

George is right, that is what I meant about not being able to swap to a non-EGR 5spd EEC. The 91+ are totally different from the 89-90 EEC's and can't be interchanged without some rewiring.

The 94+ EEC cannot be used at all because it uses a magnetic crank sensor instead of the hall effect sensor on the older ones and also the fact that the DIS is a totally different design (not that it would help anyway because all 94+ had EGR).

So from the looks of things I need a new '90 EEC from an Auto. From what I have read in other threads the Auto EEC will work just fine with the 5-speed swap. Spending money on the tuner just wouldn't be cost effective...especially now.

Back