Is this normal after Injector install?

HHHthegame

Ok, we just got the injectors on and when you put pressure on the system again the schrader valve, or bleeder, leaks fuel w/o the cap on. With the cap on, it doesn't leak. My car never had a cap on in the first place, and never leaked? Anything to worry about, or just put the cap on and screw it? Also, when we put the fuel rail back on the passenger side bolts wouldn't go in for crap. Other side went in fine, anything to worry about here? We put washers to make up for the gap between the bolt and head on the passenger side. Everything seem'd tight when we finished. Also, he said the injectors didn't leak when under pressure, if they were going to leak, would it leak around the clip that holds the injector to the rail, or where would it leak? Any ideas guys? Thanks again for all the help? Austin

HHHthegame said:
Ok, we just got the injectors on and when you put pressure on the system again the schrader valve, or bleeder, leaks fuel w/o the cap on. With the cap on, it doesn't leak. My car never had a cap on in the first place, and never leaked? Anything to worry about, or just put the cap on and screw it? Also, when we put the fuel rail back on the passenger side bolts wouldn't go in for crap. Other side went in fine, anything to worry about here? We put washers to make up for the gap between the bolt and head on the passenger side. Everything seem'd tight when we finished. Also, he said the injectors didn't leak when under pressure, if they were going to leak, would it leak around the clip that holds the injector to the rail, or where would it leak? Any ideas guys? Thanks again for all the help? Austin

AS far as the schrader valve leaking, no it should not. As for the rails not going back in place, I might be wrong here but one should not have to "shim" the bolts to get em to fit.

You might want to fix that, replace the schrader valve. Fuel shouldn't leak from that with or without the cap. That could really turn into a bad day for you if that ever ignited. For the injectors they would leak from either end of the injector the o-rings just slid in. You will hear it or see it, if you have someone turn your key a few times with your head under the hood. The fuel pump always makes a "errr" noise so don't worry about that sound, you'll hear a "pisssss" if there is a leak.

P.S. Take my advice I've had 2 small engine fires from Tbirds. Luckly beer is a great fire extingisher.

You may have put some of the clips in the wrong grooves. If you noticed there are two grooves on the injectors. The clips needs to go in the top groove of the injectors or the fuel rail bolts will not line up properly or the injectors will sit to high and not seat right.

Last edited:
Heres a pic of the injectors we took off the car. They are 30#'s right? lol. ALL the clips are in the groove with the arrow. My buddy (SCFan84) is the one who did it, and he just did it to his 93 SC. The bolts didn't line up on his either??? He said he didn't want to strip the heads, so just to use washers. They go about half way, then won't go in any further? Any ideas as to why they wouldn't line up right? Thanks Guys, Austin

432375_58_full.jpg

HHHthegame said:
Heres a pic of the injectors we took off the car. They are 30#'s right? lol. ALL the clips are in the groove with the arrow. My buddy (SCFan84) is the one who did it, and he just did it to his 93 SC. The bolts didn't line up on his either??? He said he didn't want to strip the heads, so just to use washers. They go about half way, then won't go in any further? Any ideas as to why they wouldn't line up right? Thanks Guys, Austin

432375_58_full.jpg

Austin,

Like the others have already said...replace the schrader valve or risk an engine fire. There is no reason that the screws holding the rail to the intake manifold shouldn't screw back into the same holes they came out of, unless the threads were damaged when they were removed or they somehow got cross threaded. Using the washers to take up slack won't hurt anything so long as the washers are between the rail and head of the mounting bolts and the rail mounting tabs are against the intake manifold.

If the injectors are going to leak, it would happen at the top of the injector where they attach to the rail. The lower oring (where injector goes into head) just seals manifold pressure.

Yes the injectors you removed look to be 30# injectors. What size did you replace them with and did you recalibrate the MAF to match the larger injectors ?

David

I just went to Ford and got a new Schrader valve. It was only 6 bucks. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help on this issue guys, where would I be w/o you, lol. And I emailed Pro-M and gave them the serial code of my MAF, and he said it is calibrated for the stock size of 36#, which is what I replaced the 30's with (Thanks to "Jimmy 2Coupes"). Thanks Again Guys ! ! ! Austin

HHHthegame said:
I just went to Ford and got a new Schrader valve. It was only 6 bucks. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help on this issue guys, where would I be w/o you, lol. And I emailed Pro-M and gave them the serial code of my MAF, and he said it is calibrated for the stock size of 36#, which is what I replaced the 30's with (Thanks to "Jimmy 2Coupes"). Thanks Again Guys ! ! ! Austin

Austin,

Then you will want to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to clear any adaptive learning the EEC may have applied to compensate for the smaller injectors.

David

Back