Got bored...broke out the paint...

fastsc92

I had nothing to do the other day so i figured i would paint my old helmet from my motocross days. It was old, faded white, with decals straight out of the early 90's. So figured I would paint it metalic black with candy apple flames. The pic doesn't show the red very well...but the flames are metalic candy apple red. I think it looks pretty good for a kid who can barely draw stick figures. Now i can look somewhat better at the track...and hey...maybe the flames will add 10hp. LOL :p

DSCF1157.jpg

DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

XR7 Dave said:
Looks good. Technically it is illegal to paint your helmet but who cares, right?
is it really?..never knew that....passes tech at the track, still snell approved.

fastsc92 said:
is it really?..never knew that....passes tech at the track, still snell approved.

Ya, it's no big deal, but if you paint your helmet you void the snell rating. :rolleyes:

To Paint, or Not To Paint

If helments aren't required for your class, the Tech guy probably wouldn't even look at it. Even in a class that required a helment, the Tech guy would still probably only look at the rating. In really fast or quick classes (Fuel & Alcohol), they might raise a stink about it being painted.

68COUGAR

There is a sticker on every helmet with a "Snell" rating on it. Snell is my brother's cousin's roomates' dog walker. ;) OK, just kidding, but the snell rating..if I remember correctly..states the year it was made and it's basically a UL sticker (that you find on just about anything) for your brain's safety. You are suppose to throw away a helmet if you ever: Drop the helmet; After the Snell rating year (Cause they say the Fiberglass gets old and brittle after that year); after a crash where the helmet impacts anything.

At $300+ for an decent helmet, throw it away?? Yeah right.. :rolleyes:
When you paint the helmet you are covering up not only the sticker, but any potential visable flaws in the fiberglass. Thus illegal. I've painted one before and was warned by a cop after getting pulled over.

PS. Helmet looks good!

edit...just looked at my helmet....Snell 85' :eek: :eek: :D Guess it's time for a new one...Only dropped it 50 times and about 8 crashes.. :p

Last edited:
Back