Stealing my own car need help fast!!!

quick35th

Guys I needs ideas soon, like before 8am this morning. I have no key for my cougar but I can get into it. I may try to avoid towing it tomarrow and try to drive it home myself. Problem is I need to figure out a way to steal my own car. Do you guys have any ideas what I can do? I could hot wire it but the wheel will lock up. What do you guys think about me jamming a long skinny flathead screwdriver into the ignition and twist? Do you think it could work? I know it does on early 90s and older chevy trucks but I wander if it will work in my cougar. I am not at all worried about damaging it. I plan on replacing it anyways since I dont have a key for it. Do you guys have anyother ideas of ways I can steal it? Thanks again for the help.

Shane

lock

Try picking the lock, use something like your screwdriver to apply twisting pressure and use something like a paper clip to 'massage' the lock pins. You might get lucky if the lock cylinder is worn and have your car on in a few minutes. The idea is to use the screwdiver to together with the paper clip, constantly applying that turning pressure, though gently, and running the paper clip wire against the inside where the teeth of your key would go. Run the clip wire back and forth fast. Otherwise, call a locksmith, or maybe inside your owners manual there might be a thin plastic key that you can use as a pattern to have a real key made.
If you had to only start the car, you can remove the the plastic cover from the steering column with a phillips screwdriver. From there you would have acces to the ignition switch and could use a screwdriver to force the switch up to start and then allow it back to the run position...just can't steer!

....yeah, call a locksmith at 6:00 am and then make yourself some eggs and toast with a glass of chocolate milk, I think it should be ready by 8:00.

Hmm well we will have to see. What if I try to just jam a screwdrive in as fare as possilbe and then twist to turn on the ignition? Remember I dont care if I ruen it because I have no key for it. I have to replace the lock cylinder anyways because the SOB has the key still and wont give it up. On a side note I wander if this guy is going to do anything to me? I wander if he is stupid enough to do anything irrational like try to kill me. I mean I think I got him fired yesturday because of him threaten me and now I am talking my car back. That would really suck if he tried anything like that. I would really miss all of you guys here and would fell so horrible for my family.

Shane

New Ignition Cyclinder

Why don't you just go to your local Ford garage, & buy a new lock set & replace your ignition cyclinder. Problem solved, AND you now have 2 keys. Nothing broken.

I'm concerned about your URGENCY to steal your own car back. That, plus the fact that you "may" have gotten somebody fired, leads me to think that you're trying to steal your car back, from a business. Stealing your own car is gonna land you in hot water & possibly Jail. You can always use the Police to help you get your car back, if they are illegally witholding it from you. However if you are trying to skip out on paying your repair bill, the Police aren't going to be of much help.

Concerned 68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
Why don't you just go to your local Ford garage, & buy a new lock set & replace your ignition cyclinder. Problem solved, AND you now have 2 keys. Nothing broken.

I'm concerned about your URGENCY to steal your own car back. That, plus the fact that you "may" have gotten somebody fired, leads me to think that you're trying to steal your car back, from a business. Stealing your own car is gonna land you in hot water & possibly Jail. You can always use the Police to help you get your car back, if they are illegally witholding it from you. However if you are trying to skip out on paying your repair bill, the Police aren't going to be of much help.

Concerned 68COUGAR

First off I sold the car to my old supervisor, not a buisness. Second of all I have meet with the local police the last two nights about this car. They can not do a thing about it. They told me to avoid a confrontation with this guy. I am telling the truth here and am not making anything up. The reason for the urgency is that my licence plates are still on this car and it is still regesturd to my name. The plates are expired too. This means if he gets pulled over its my a$$ not his. Or if he get in an accident and either hurts or kills someone its all on me not him. I have already confirmed this to be fact with the local police. I dont not under any circumstances want this liability on myself. So the only way to get rid of the liability is to take the car back asap. The cops have told me this already. I owe nothing to anyone. He still owes me $1,700 and he has only payed me $300 which happend back in september.

Shane

Bite the bullet call the tow truck-if cops will not do anything. Do you still own the title?if so call the police and tell them your ex boss has your car without authorization and have him arrested and THEY Have too get your key back!

Normally, you have to file repossession paperwork with the court system, then call the police just before you tow it so when the guy calls it in stolen they will let him know it was repo'd.....what a $#@ waste of time...

I agree with Darrian, just tow it, and have a witness incase he tries to be a @$$ about it..

quick35th said:
The reason for the urgency is that my licence plates are still on this car and it is still regesturd to my name. The plates are expired too. This means if he gets pulled over its my a$$ not his. Or if he get in an accident and either hurts or kills someone its all on me not him. I have already confirmed this to be fact with the local police. I dont not under any circumstances want this liability on myself.
Shane
If you're worried about him driving the car then just disable it by cutting a wire or unplugging a connector. For example, you can slightly unplug the connector to the fuel cut-off switch. The fuel pump won't work and he won't notice that the plug is slightly out. Or unplug the IRCM. Or cut a wire to the DIS or to the coil pack.
It shouldn't be too difficult. This site is full of requests for help with SCs that won't start or run.

titanium89scguy said:
hey i thought u were trying to sell that car to me.......... lol

I am. I have to get it back. I should have it today or tomarrow. My neibor is a tow truck driver and has friends that repo cars. We are going over there and getting it soon. Dont worry I have seen it already. The guys has done nothing to it. Still in the same shape.

Shane

I do not know if the dealer can cut keys from the VIN #. I have had dealers cut keys before but they always had to have the original key that came from the factory because that set of keys has some small #'s stamped into them. The dealer can them look those #'s up in book they have that tells them how to set the tool to cut them. My experiance has been that you either have to have the original key or the #'s from that key, plus if you only have the #'s then that dealer will have to know you and know that you own that car or they will not touch it. They do not want to be a participant to grand theft auto.
Be very carefull with what your planning to do, people will do desperate things when backed into a corner. That guy just might come out shooting if he has lost his job and looks out and see's the guy that got him fired and now he's taking what he may percieve as his car right now.
These are very dessperate times for alot of people right now and there starting to do stuff they normaly would not do otherwise, just be very carefull.

1.Stay away from this guy.

2.Talk to you friend about the proper way to file papers to repo.And towing.

3.Go to small claims.Sue for the cost of repo,& towing.

(Next,This is what I would do.You should not.)
4.Spend the small claims money you win ,To hire a bada$$ to stomped his
a$$ into a mudhole.Then when he is down give him a couple swift
kicks, one in the ribs, & one up side his head, for theating you.

RANDY

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
Can't the dealer supply a new key based on the VIN ?

David
I once lost the keys to a 96-97 rental car. The locksmith from AAA made a new set and then drove over and handed them to me. I think he did speak with the car rental agency, though.

Well boys I got the car back today and it is in one peice. All is well. I do not have a key but my next door neibor said if I remove the passenger side door lock there is a number and a letter written on it. This code is the key code. I can give this code to a locks smith and they can cut me a key without even looking at the car. So I should have a key cut the beggining of next week.

So this is how we did it. I woke up this morning a 7am. My old sup was suposed to be to work at 8am. I called into work at about 8:20am and asked if he was there. The answer I got was no so we went to his house to see if the car was there. It was so we went to my work which is a couple blocks away and I went in to talk to the big boss. I checked to see whether or not he had called off and the word was no. So thats when I figured I was screwed. I drove back home and paid a visit to my neibor. Told him all that happend and he said we might be able to get his repo friend out there today but it will cost $100. I was like ok I can pay you the $100 but he was not sure if they could do it today or not. So some time went by and now it was just before or just after 12pm. I was just curious and called work because I was going to call off anyways to settle this and I ask whether or not my old sup that threatend me was there. This time I got a YES! I was like sweet call AAA! So we called them and got the car towed to my house. I had the tow truck driver put the car in my driveway behind my house that way if my old sup were to try anything I can get him for grand theft auto and trespassing. By time everything was said and done I had the car in my possetion at around 2:30pm today.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am just glad to have the car back in one peice.

Shane

Do you still have the title? If so you could of taken the car at anytime. If you gave him the title signed you could be in trouble.

good luck
Mike :cool:

Mikessupercoupe said:
Do you still have the title? If so you could of taken the car at anytime. If you gave him the title signed you could be in trouble.

good luck
Mike :cool:

Title has been in my possession and in my name the entire time. The Columbus Police did not want me to take it when he was there because they wanted to avoid a confrontation. They told me since it was at his place if anything happend being if he started a fight not me and I dont even hit him both of us are going to jail. I was not willing to take this chance and risk going to jail thats why I took it while he was at work.

Shane

Back