Yes my blown friends, another exhaust question!

darkstar_one

okay, seeing as how i cant find a damn exhaust shop to do my exhaust that knows what the hell im talking about, i am gonna do it myself! Dont ask me how, i know autozone sells the bends and stuff, seeing as how it the tbird setup isnt complicated, oh and by the way, im just doing the RESONATOR to the MANIFOLDS for now! The question is what to go with? 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 ?
I read that for our SC's anything beyond 2 1/4 is a lil too open... and we do lose alot of that LOW END TORQUE that we love so much, oh yeah and by the way, i have a WELDER and a nice exhuast tube cutter here in my garage, dont worry, the welder isnt a generic welder, its a nice one, with switches and stuff, i know how to weld very well, in fact i literly built a skate park for my neighbor with ramps and stuff in our street, they are all on his drive way. Well anyways, check this out, im gonnna buy the pieces from AUTOZONE, which are 4 45 DEGREE BENDS, and im gonna purchase 2 90 DEGREE BENDS, and around 4 - 6 feet of exhaust tube, now i just need to know, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 ??? Autozone bends are compressed bends, not mandrell, so they have those ripples on them, should i get 2 1/2 without losing too much low end torque? Oh yeah and i havent searched because everything is just confusing and i would rather want people tell me directly then me read it from what others are telling someone else. THanx for the understanding. As for the RESONATOR, its gonna be replaced with a MAGNAFLOW, the 24 INCH one. THanx

Also, one more thing, were does the LOW END TORQUE that we lose go? does it turn into HIGH END? or what?

i dont think 2.5" is too big either. Do a search to get some more info. It all really depends what you're looking to get at with your car. If you only plan to run 14-13's then 2.25 is good....otherwise 2.5" could go in there. With a boosted car, you really dont need to worry about loosing any low end. Its not like a N/A car. On a N/A car you need to worry about backpressure and exhaust scavenging. You acutally want the varying exhaust pulses to help pull the air out of the cylinders.

However on a boosted car, the air is actually being pushed out of the cylinder by the added boost and the cylinder volume is always being replaced. I asked this question a while back and did some searching, and basically came up with no exhaust is too big on a boosted car. it all comes down to where you want to go in the future with your car and if what you are doing will be a restricition in the future.

Back