block warp problem?

TwoToneThunder

the mechanic putting my heads back on said he noticed on the cyl that it was warped about 2/1000 ths i think he said 3 and it would leak but 2 he didnt know are they going to blow on me?

What does "cylinder warped" mean? Is he talking about across the deck of the block it's got a gap? Or is he talking about off center? Or is he talking about in the cylinder?

Not real clear on whay you mean. When you rebuild an engine its a good idea to have the block and heads resurfaced so everything is flat and straight. Do you mean the cylinder itself in out of line as in core shift?

If thats the case you have two choices. First get the block decked. That means pulling it out, takeing it apart and all that fun stuff. Second get thicker head gaskets that may solve the problem. It really depends on how much time you have and of course as always money.

the mechanic and all his co workers all said they were sure it would be fine but they said there is a small chance

Well if it was me I would go with a thicker head gasket. It would help fill the gap and lessen the chance of another blown gasket. Why take a risk when you have gone this far? Did you make sure that the heads are straight? If all the surfaces are not right you are just asking for a problem. Make sure you use new head bolts or A.R. studs they are not reusable.

The problem with milling the head while not touching the block is that now the variation is greater than it was before you milled the head.

You're going to set a perfectly flat head on a not so perfectly flat deck. This is exactly the reason why people use thicker head gaskets. To make up that variation and avoid pulling the block.

If you're going to use this as a daily driver you might be o.k. If you are going to use this as a daily driver and have fun with it, I would consider taking care of that deck. Remind the guys that are thinking it will be o.k., that this is for a supercharged engine that regularly will see 11psi of boost if not more.

That gives an effective compression ratio of:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compression.htm
Boost and Altitude Correction to Compression
You are running 11 PSI of boost at an altitude of 4500 feet. Your motor's static compression is 8.2 :1. At this boost level and altitude your effective compression ratio is 13.44 :1, and without altitude correction your compression ratio would be 14.34 :1.

Now ask them if they are satisfied with the variance if you were running 13:1 compression ratio pistons.

A.R. Head Studs

tim said:
Make sure you use new head bolts or A.R. studs they are not reusable.
Since when are A.R. head studs Not reuseable? More importantly, WHY do you think they are not reuseable?

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Since when are A.R. head studs Not reuseable? More importantly, WHY do you think they are not reuseable?

68COUGAR

I think he ment that the ones already on the car aren't reusable.

I guess the question is if whether 0.002" warp corner to corner across the deck is significant enough to worry about. I'm sure that number is well within Ford's manufacturing tollerances and that standard Felpro gaskets will be just fine.

Back