How to release fuel pressure w/o starting the engine

93SuperCoupeBoy

I blew my HGs and the engine won't even start. So, I started tearing down things, taking IC tubes off, SC top, battery, alternator, etc. Anyways, I just realized that the fuel pressure is still primed. So, I was wondering, how can I release the fuel pressure?

Nick

Well, I'm not claiming to have the safest approach, but every engine i've torn down, i've just seperated the fuel line from the rail, and had a rag under the point of connection, so that it could absorb the fuel that always spills out.

There's also the shrader valve on the fuel line, like where you fill the air in the tires, you could release pressure from there as well, but that means that fuel will come out too.

I've never had a ton of fuel pressure force out the gas, but some fuel will fall out of the lines. When you're done, roll up some paper towel and twist in into the fuel lines so you don't get any contamination in there.

Depressure the fuel line at the shraeder valve. Place a rag over it and depress the shraeder valve with a phillips screwdriver. The gas will be absorbed into the rag. You can kinda ball the rag up around the valve so it will catch more. Wear some goggles so you don't get the gas in your eyes if it accidently sprays out.

David

'95 SC - manual tranny

kick the quarter panel on the driver side, this will engage the inertia switch and trick the car into thinking you have crashed, then turn the key over, this will cause a huge costly dent but is the best way in my opinion. Most SCs have leaky injectors anyways, so fuel pressure would have leaked out in a matter of minutes, if you have hard warm/hot starting problems you dont have to worry

Last edited:
AsScLoWn said:
kick the quarter panel on the driver side, this will engage the inertia switch and trick the car into thinking you have crashed, then turn the key over, this will cause a huge costly dent but is the best way in my opinion. Most SCs have leaky injectors anyways, so fuel pressure would have leaked out in a matter of minutes, if you have hard warm/hot starting problems you dont have to worry

As I said, I CANNOT start the car...so that method wouldn't be too effective other than leaving me a big dent in my new paint job. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nick

I'd do both. Release the inertia switch - which is on the left hand side inside the trunk (also a handy thing to disable if you park at the mall or airport - car can't be stolen). You can either disconnect the electrical connection to the switch (pull back the trunk cover) or use a small screwdriver to release the red button. I do this every time I change the fuel filter. Secondly (preferably with a hose that has a schraeder valve fitting - bicycle pump hose for example) release the pressure from the schraeder valve on the fuel rail.

Nick, sorry to hear about the HGs. You can unplug the inertia switch(located in trunk on drivers side with the fuel relay switch) and turn the key to on, that will run the pump and with the inertia switch unplugged, it will trick the computer into thinking you have crashed or kicked the quater panel :D and relieve the pressure in the system.

Given the amount of time since this happened to your car, I'd say most pressure has leaked down already anyway. Good luck with the rest of the repair.

David

Umm... pull the fuel pump fuse from the box under the hood just behind the battery, turn key to on position.. try to engage starter.. turn key off. Plug fuse back in and you should be fine. Hope you have 1/2" breaker bar and socket for the head bolts. Mine were amazingly tight.

You can also just move the fuel rail out of the way and leave it connected to do the HG. Did it with mine with no problem, move it off to the left.

Back