Found a stock subwoofer at the junk yard, how do I test it?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I ran across a car with the JBL subwoofer in my local yard, but i want to test it before i buy it. Any way to do this? For example at least for lights, i use an average 9v battery and you can see it work....maybe dim, but it works. Im wondering if something simmilar applies to speakers...maybe u can hear some type of buzzing or noise if voltage is applied?

Okay use a 9V and connect it to Pos. and Neg. respectively. If it pushes out its good. If not then dont worry about it. Or ask if they'll take it back if it doesn't work. Alot of places will do that if you talk to them before hand.

Thanx for the info guys..i'll go test it next time im at that yard. So if I just hook up the 9v to the wires i should get some type of noise right? And if i do, teh thing works. If not, i'll keep ya in mind Joe. HOw much are u asking for it?

Look at the speaker cone. The OEM sub speaker uses a paper cone. Usually the paper separates from the speaker foam. Connect any sound output to the speaker wires but until you power up the amp you won't know if the speaker coil is bad.

Back