Mustang Header Gaskets

fastsc92

Mustang Header Gaskets, Copper Spray???

I picked up a set of mustang header gaskets for my new headers. These are the felpro steel style. Anyways, I read somewhere on this board that some people use copper RTV on the gaskets as well. Is this really needed, or should I just install them dry? Also, are these gaskets reusable? Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:
I used 94-99 Mustang 3.8L exhaust manifold gasket, Fel-Pro MS 95528, coated steel with spray copper gasket sealant. I've had these on for 16,000 miles with Stage 8 locking bolts and not one leak from the headers to heads! This is not an area where you want to have to tighten something up every weekend!

I don't take mine apart very often, but they should be reusable for a couple of times anyway.

I'm running mac longtubes, and I already have those gaskets, with stage 8 bolts, just not really sure if its needed to spray them down with copper spray such as this. Or which side to spray. Is it recommended to install them dry?

80697.jpg

I got a can of that spray and gave them a light coat. But they do not work with the headers themselves. The gasket seems to hit flanges and the bolt holes dont line up too well. Just curious what you other guys have done to solve this problem. I ended up cutting one of the ports off so one flange gasket was by itself and the other two still connected.

If you are using the gaskets that are steel shim coated with graphite, there is no need to spray anything on them. Putting spray on them is just an excellent way to ensure that you won't be able to reuse them. The graphite is soft enough to deform around any imperfections and is reusable (if you don't glue it). If your header flanges are not very true, then you can definately stack two of them and this will greatly increase their compliance without causing them to burn out. I've never had one leak and I've reused them several times, just make sure you put them back on the exact way they came off because they deform to match the headers.

The do fit fine on normal SC heads. If you are having fitment problems then you've got something else slightly amiss.

the gaskets fits perfect on the heads....but it doesn't fit on the flanges of the header. By this i mean that the bent part on the bottom of the gasket hits the flanges and is not letting the bolt holes line up properly. I ended up having to cut the gasket in two parts for the holes to line up

fastsc92 said:
I'm running mac longtubes, and I already have those gaskets, with stage 8 bolts, just not really sure if its needed to spray them down with copper spray such as this. Or which side to spray. Is it recommended to install them dry?

80697.jpg

Im just going to buy it for the glowing blue can

Back