Driving without a hood

quick35th

Hey I just wanderd if it was a good idea to do this. I am planning on driving to PA in my 91 SC to pick up a cirvinis Mach1 hood for my 35th. I want to drive the entire way without the stock hood and just put the Mach1 hood on when I get there and drive home with it on. I have no way to get the stock hood home thats why I want to do this. Is this a good idea? Will it hurt the car if I do this? What if it starts to lightly rain. Will that hurt the car? I still have the stock airbox on it so water cant get in there. Let me know.

Shane

Don't know about the electronics.

But my friend got hit by a drunk driver and drove his mustang around for 2 weeks with the hood off. It's not illegal in wisconsin, or at the track by me for that matter. He did get stuck in the rain twice with nothing going wrong. He didnt have an open airfilter, so everthing appeared to be fine.

By the way, make sure your battery is tied down.

quick35th said:
Hey I just wanderd if it was a good idea to do this. I am planning on driving to PA in my 91 SC to pick up a cirvinis Mach1 hood for my 35th. I want to drive the entire way without the stock hood and just put the Mach1 hood on when I get there and drive home with it on. I have no way to get the stock hood home thats why I want to do this. Is this a good idea? Will it hurt the car if I do this? What if it starts to lightly rain. Will that hurt the car? I still have the stock airbox on it so water cant get in there. Let me know.

Shane

Will you be coming 422 to go to Indiana? If so you can stop by my house on the way. I'm right along the highway.

you might want to ask around on here about the fit of fiberglass hoods. I believe that many have had to have their hood worked on to make it even fit, much less look correct. Would not be good to drive all the way there and then the hood not fit, and now have to go back home and still ship the hood.

quick35th said:

Shane

I have that hood on my SC. It fit with no modification to the hood but the latch had to be moved around a little to get it to work. Most people I have seen posted here with that hood had no major problems with fit

Just throw a beater hood on and toss it in the dumpster when you pick up the fiberglass one.Then you dont have to worry about the cops.

Well I got the hood yesturday guys. Drove all 281 miles there without a hood on the car. Didn't have a single problem either. An Ohio state trooper even got on the freeway beside me and didn't even give me one bit of trouble. It was neet driving down the freeway and being able to see your own motor. Got there bolted the hood to the brackets and adjusted the hood stops and it fit perfectly. Then just drove home with it on. looks real cool on my red car but it is for my 35th. I like it so much I may have to get another one to put on my red car.

What is up with the speed limits in PA? Interstate 70 is 55mph and in some places 45mph. That is horrible. I was cruising at like 80mph most of the way. Hit 105mph once just because it was perfectly straight and no one was around. I saw not a single cop on the freeways in PA. It was a fun trip. Anyone wanna sell there Mach1 hood thats farely close to me?

Shane

Last edited:
quick35th said:
What is up with the speed limits in PA? Interstate 70 is 55mph and in some places 45mph. That is horrible. I was cruising at like 80mph most of the way. Hit 105mph once just because it was perfectly straight and no one was around. I say not a single cop on the freeways in PA.
Shane

Based on my experience with PA driving the speed limit signs are just suggestions anyway, expecially on the Turnpike. Do 55 at your own peril... :)

I have driven thousands of miles on the PA Turnpike, and I would say that a lot of people do speed on the Turnpike, but a lot of people get busted too. There are lots of good police car hiding spots on the Turnpike. I got ticketed for 75 in a 55 a couple years ago.

At the time, I really couldn't afford the $160 ticket. It made me straighten up a little, I must say.

The people that speed the most seem to be truckers, which irks me. The people that have the worst stopping distances go the fastest. Hmm...

Also, with all the sections torn up and under construction, some parts are too unsafe to speed.

Back