Car keeps trying to quit

rolltide

I Have a couple questions. Recently my 95 5 speed SC has developed a problem. The car keeps trying to idle way down to around 500 and 400 RPM and thewhole car shakes as the engine is trying to keep running. It does it early in the morning and even after driving, but it just does it as I am waiting at lights and in traffic. If the car sits still and is running, it will start this problem after about 10-15 seconds and it will do it until it idles down too low and the car dies. If I rev it up to around 2000 RPM, and then let off the peddle, it will hold normal RPM for another 10 secs or so then repeat the problem. Thank you for any help.

rolltide said:
I Have a couple questions. Recently my 95 5 speed SC has developed a problem. The car keeps trying to idle way down to around 500 and 400 RPM and thewhole car shakes as the engine is trying to keep running. It does it early in the morning and even after driving, but it just does it as I am waiting at lights and in traffic. If the car sits still and is running, it will start this problem after about 10-15 seconds and it will do it until it idles down too low and the car dies. If I rev it up to around 2000 RPM, and then let off the peddle, it will hold normal RPM for another 10 secs or so then repeat the problem. Thank you for any help.

hey rolltide, my car has the same problem. id be driving along and it would start like sputtering and the whole car would shake. im not sure but it may be the cam sensor. not 100% positive, i just remember reading that somewhere. hope this helps.

Here's a thought....

How are your engine mounts? If they haven't been replaced by solid rubber (aftermarket) mounts, I bet that is the source of your problem. Don't ask me why the mounts cause the RPM's to drop when sitting at a light, but they do. Bad IAC's typically cause high idle RPM's, and bad cam sensors cause a miss or sputtering both while driving or idling.

LJGriggs said:
Don't ask me why the mounts cause the RPM's to drop when sitting at a light, but they do.
But you can ask me ;) .. when the pass side mount collapses the limiter arm sits on the steel bracket and the vibrations from the engine are picked up by the knock sensor. The EEC reads this and retards the timing thus pushing the idle down.. BTW, my fluid mount on the pass side is already starting to droop after just a few years of service. I'd recommend a solid rubber mount for at least the passenger side mount. :cool:

Motor Mounts??

First of all, Thanks for all the responses.

I went out to the car today and started it after it had not run in 2 days. It cranked up just fine, then after 10 secs or so, the rpms dropped to around 500 and the whole car started rocking and shaking and it tried to die, but it did not for a long time. It just knocked and idled way low for almost a minute before I had to turn it off. Once I cranked it back up, it idled at 1000RPM just fine. It hurts me to hear my car making these weird noises. Someone mentioned fluid on their left side, what are they referring to and where can I find solid rubber motor mounts for a good price. Are they expensive to replace. I am having my clutch done next week, so i guess I will have these checked at the same time.

When the car was idling at the 500 RPM, it almost sounded like the engine was skipping a beat, like it was struggling to keep the pistons firing. Have a great day everyone.

idle problem

What are the symptoms of a bad crank sensor or harmonic balancer. Also, if I replace the motor mounts, should I replace any other bushings. The Tranny bushing has already been done.

When my 94 broke a mount it would do weird things like that. I really don't know why a broken mount causes it to idle weird, but it just does with these cars. Most noticably it would really want to die while backing up and turning the wheel at the same time. I would go ahead and replace them while you have the tranny out, even if they aren't broken. I know Super Coupe Performance has solid mounts (and you will definately want to use solid mounts), but those aren't stock height. MN12 Performance has them also.

NRTrackStar said:
I really don't know why a broken mount causes it to idle weird, but it just does with these cars.
Guess we know who didn't read the entire thread, don't we? Scroll back up and all will be revealed. ;) ;)

Motor Mount

Ok, I am going to call Bill Evanoff at SCP and order a motor mount and possibly stage 1 clutch kit. Should I go ahead and get both. Also, what is this I read about crossmember bushings. Can they cause problems.

Back